Hottentotta Tamulus and Hottentotta Flavidulus question

Ferrachi

Arachnoangel
Has anyone heard or read anywhere that there was a taxonomic change and the Hottentotta Tamulus has been changed to Hottentotta Flavidulus ? I can't seem to find that taxonomic change anywhere. I'm looking to purchase a Hottentotta Tamulus but being steered in different directions... Thanks

Last edited:

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
In the past H. Tamulus was 'taxomized' as Mesobuthus Tamulus, later (in 2007?) it became Hottentotta Tamulus.
The most recent revision of Mesobuthus by Kovarik et al was in February 2018 but Nothing about tamulus in there.
From 2016 till today there is nothing in scientific papers that mention anything about H. Tamulus change to H. Flavidulus.
As far as I'm aware Hottentotta Flavidulus is a different species living in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
You may have been steered into the direction of H. Flavidulus purely out of commercial interest (?) :plot:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoangel
Well they discovered the Pakistani population later either the academics or the hobby may have lumped them together under H.tamulus only to later find they were actually were H.flavidulus.

H.flavidulus are very closely related to H.tamulus. They are both members of the "Indian group".

Attachments

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoangel
Anyways I am not very well read up on this history of the Pakistani H.flavidulus and its relationship to the hobby.

Like yourself I can't find much on it only hints that there were Pakistani H.tamulus in the hobby or maybe H.flavidulus labeled as such.

I was not active in the hobby at that time.

Ferrachi

Arachnoangel
Well they discovered the Pakistani population later either the academics or the hobby may have lumped them together under H.tamulus only to later find they were actually were H.flavidulus.

H.flavidulus are very closely related to H.tamulus. They are both members of the "Indian group".
Very interesting... could possibly be true

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
"Can the flavidulus breed with the tamulus ?"

They probably can, just like a golden retriever and a sausage dog can get busy.
Mom and dad forgot to tell you about the flowers and the bees ?? :p
But I would not recommend breeding tamulus + flavidulus.
They would produce mixed genes offspring that might later polute other pure species scorpions.

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
You may create the world's deadliest invasive species.
Well I have 2 tamulus and 2 flavidulus i was just wondering because I cant find anything online like most of us I'm a few months in the hobby and I have 2 gravid female scorpions androctonus amoreuxi and emperor..not they didnt breed lol. I bought them gravid. Plus 12 other duthidae unsexed scorpions eventually I'll be breeding for some local pet stores. So I'm in the learning process With breeding my spiders and scorpions. Not cross breeding. Do thanks for the replys

Stomptheground

Arachnopeon
I'm actually going to start a hottentotta frenzwerni communal I have one so far just waiting for more to become available great idea forsure