Hottentotta jayakari

sloth

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone!!:) I really like the look of H. jayakari and I’m curious about their care. How big do they get? How potent is their venom? Can they do fine in room temps from 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit? What size cage for an adult? Do they burrow or do they just need a hide? What substrate?

This is going to be my third scorpion do you think it’s a good choice or would you recommend a different one. I currently have a Smeringurus mesaensis and used to have a Pandinus imperator. Thanks to everyone in advance and hope everyone has a great day :)

NYAN

Arachnoking
I keep mine the same as the franzwerneri. 75 would be too cold. It will grow very slowly and eat less with these temps. They like warm temps in the mid to upper 80s. The venom is probably similar potency to franzwerneri; a sting will ruin your day but probably won’t kill you. I do believe they will burrow given the chance, so if you wanted to you could offer them the ability. I keep mine on sand and they have a cork piece, which they will often dig a cavety under You can add excavator clay if you want to let them burrow. For an adult, you can probably keep it in a small-medium sized tub.

As for whether I think this is a good scorpion for you, I don’t really have a comment. None of the species you keep have remotely similar venom potency, however getting stung is pretty easy to avoid.

sloth

Arachnoknight
I keep mine the same as the franzwerneri. 75 would be too cold. It will grow very slowly and eat less with these temps. They like warm temps in the mid to upper 80s. The venom is probably similar potency to franzwerneri; a sting will ruin your day but probably won’t kill you. I do believe they will burrow given the chance, so if you wanted to you could offer them the ability. I keep mine on sand and they have a cork piece, which they will often dig a cavety under You can add excavator clay if you want to let them burrow. For an adult, you can probably keep it in a small-medium sized tub.

As for whether I think this is a good scorpion for you, I don’t really have a comment. None of the species you keep have remotely similar venom potency, however getting stung is pretty easy to avoid.
What can I do to bring the heat up? Would a heat mat work?

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Heat mat / tape from the side, since scorpions go down to get cooler a bottom mat is bad.

NYAN

Arachnoking
How long does a bulb last you? Do you keep it on only during the day? How many bulbs do you go through in a year?
I can’t answer most of these since I haven’t had to change the bulb yet. It has lasted 2 or so months so far I think.

I keep it on during the day, yes.

sloth

Arachnoknight
I can’t answer most of these since I haven’t had to change the bulb yet. It has lasted 2 or so months so far I think.

I keep it on during the day, yes.
Do you have the bulb on one side of the tank or the whole thing

NYAN

Arachnoking
Do you have the bulb on one side of the tank or the whole thing
I have more than a dozen scorpions. I arrange the scorpions on a shelf and mount the light on the shelf angled towards them.

sloth

Arachnoknight
I have more than a dozen scorpions. I arrange the scorpions on a shelf and mount the light on the shelf angled towards them.
What enclosure do you keep your Hottentotta jayakari in?

Alex99

Arachnosquire
What enclosure do you keep your Hottentotta jayakari in?
He has them on a shelf in tupaware/bins. Most of your questions are common questions that can be answered with a simple care sheet.

NYAN

Arachnoking
My jayakari are kept in the equivalent of 8 oz deli cups. When they outgrow them I will move them to small sized locking tubs.

Most of your questions are common questions that can be answered with a simple care sheet.
I don’t think there are any care sheets for this species. Most buthids don’t have any, which is good probably since the general public shouldn’t be keeping hot species.

Anyway, you do have a point with the questions being a little basic, however I think it is good that they ask them.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
My jayakari are kept in the equivalent of 8 oz deli cups. When they outgrow them I will move them to small sized locking tubs.

I don’t think there are any care sheets for this species. Most buthids don’t have any, which is good probably since the general public shouldn’t be keeping hot species.

Anyway, you do have a point with the questions being a little basic, however I think it is good that they ask them.
BOOKS on Scorpion Keeping . Plenty out there ,and much better than any care sheet. The 6 I have are really good and cover all aspects of scorpion keeping, ranging in price from £8 to £75. I suppose @sloth will now want to know what they are called. Search the internet.!!!

Last edited:

Falsielove13

Arachnosquire
Would love to pick up a few babies man! I have a pair of Franzwerneri and a lone small Salei . I believe Salei is kind of a morph or subspecies of the Jayakari? I keep them all with a little Coco fibre dust and some play sand and excavator clay mixed in . They are all molting and seem to be doing ok over the last few months. But please PM me if those babies will be for sale as I'll gladly down payment a few .thanks! They were one of my ultimate species and just beautiful and bad ass looking. Easy care and low maintenance scorps man . Gotta love it!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Jayakari are heat loving scorpions. They do not burrow and spend little time hiding deep. they're surface dwellers and require a lot of heat to grow normally and have successsuc broods

They're daily temps in the wild reach upwards of 110°+. In captivity I keep mine mid to low 90s and with gravid females I keep them around 100° to properly incubate and gestate