Hottentotta hottentotta

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
never really had any luck with my HH reproducing. She had one brood (her first one) and it was just eggs, they weren't really even developed into first instars yet. Since then (over a year since) she has gotten fat, but no production. Shame really, she might only have another year or so to live (maybe 2). Although I'll be honest, I don't really want hundreds of HH's running around :p
Eggs.....? :confused:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eggs.....? :confused:
Where do you think you came from?? That's what females produce, including humans. Then the male (except in Parthenogenetic species) comes along and fertilizes it. Then here comes Joey.

Which leads to my bigger point:

Which came first? Joey or the egg? :razz:

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Where do you think you came from?? That's what females produce, including humans. Then the male (except in Parthenogenetic species) comes along and fertilizes it. Then here comes Joey.

Well in humans the eggs are microscopic, so when he said he seen egg's i was like huh?...

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
never really had any luck with my HH reproducing. She had one brood (her first one) and it was just eggs, they weren't really even developed into first instars yet. Since then (over a year since) she has gotten fat, but no production. Shame really, she might only have another year or so to live (maybe 2). Although I'll be honest, I don't really want hundreds of HH's running around :p
I remember reading an interesting topic on VL last time
They are discussing about why their hottentotta hottentotta are abandoning their brood (Infertile eggs) and they came out with a theory that the female sensed pheromone from another male that are being kept very near to her enclosure and so she abandon them and wanted to mate with the male instead
But i'm not saying this theory is right, i will try to look for the topic and post it here :D

*Editted: Nvm, i cant find the topic and think that this is not right because my hottentotta was housed beside a male jacksoni and she pop-ed just fine*

Anw the whole male hottentotta popping have been discussed in this thread before, might shed some light for this debate here
http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13834

Last edited:

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'll give that a read. As for pheromones, I'm not sure, I have an H. Judaicus, but I really have no idea of sex or age on it. It has never molted in my care, I've had it for 2 years now, and I didn't think it was full grown when I got it, but oh well.

I was under the impression that I just got a female that isn't quite breedable, which is a bit of a shame but oh well. Once I start blasting with the heat lamp again (its been a hot hot summer here, no way I can have it on in my room), maybe she'll do better. Otherwise, shes kept well.

Wish I had a larger selection of H's around here, they are neat lil scorpions.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

this is so funny but makes sense lol

Esque

Arachnopeon
I know there are tons of care sheets already here, but still there are couple or so inquiries on how i keep mine. A friend suggested to post it here.

So here goes.
Temperature: Average 29-32C at day and 27-28 at night.
Humidity: 50-60%
Basically i use coco husk or coco dust for substrate and misting 2x a week. Remember not to mist directly at the scorpion.

I also feed them 2x a week. Hottentotta hottentotta are very aggressive scorpion. The venom level is a 3-3.5 out of 5 and able to take down bigger prey.

Hottentotta hottentotta are parthenogenetic. That means that a female of this species can produce off springs without ever mating with a male. Gestastion period every 3-4 months.

I started with one female and ended up with more then i can handle. So better think about taking of more 1-2, cause when they start popping there's no stopping them:razz:

Now i keep in smaller container to save some space.

And kept some early instars in a communal setup.

Here's some of the new batch{D

Hope these help.
Thanks!
Sorry to dig out this old post, just wondering is a hide essential for this species (as I see a few of your cup with no hides)?

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Sorry to dig out this old post, just wondering is a hide essential for this species (as I see a few of your cup with no hides)?
omg... There was a guy on the first page of this thread that literally asked the same thing...
READ!!!! READ!!! PEOPLE!!! :eek:

isara0you

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! Just wanted to clarify something after 8+ years, has anyone found the answer about the reproduction of this sp? Are the males really "Parthenogentic"?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Hi guys! Just wanted to clarify something after 8+ years, has anyone found the answer about the reproduction of this sp? Are the males really "Parthenogentic"?
Just read thread carefuly, answer is on page 2, post #29.

H.hottentotta from parthenogenetic populations produce thelytokous, all female broods. What you have here, my friends, are small adult females and large adult females (that became adult one instar later than the small females). There are size classes in Buthids, as I explained many times on the Venomlist to our members there (See the FAQ section for a post called variation in size and coloration.

I have seen males of H.hottentotta from sexual populations and these have , to name one thing, very large bulky chela. What you are calling a male in your pictures, is simply a small female.
Males do not give birth in nature, what WHERE you thinking? LOL

Regards, Michiel

Noobie

Arachnopeon
Oh boy.. glad i found this post.. for my friend was planning to give me a H.h scorpion.. i only have a h.longi.. not sure if it is a longi.. do.. thanks for the info sir..

heres my sling IMG20210205150517.jpg IMG20210205150529.jpg IMG20210205150451.jpg