Hottentotta hottentotta

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Both male and female gives birth even if they are not mated at all. We keep most of our HH separated individually contained as you can see in the photos. We have seen a male giving birth without mating.

The only difference between a male and a female giving birth is the size of the broods.

Again this is all base from our own experience. And we do not have any scientific basis. To see is to believe. And those are base from what we saw and experienced.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm convinced that you mis-sex them...
From my understanding, only female are produced through parthenogenic so where did u get your male from?
A picture of the specimen will help to convince us if you are serious

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And where you have the male? If it is from a parthenogenetic birth, we can stop here to discuss ;-)

PS:
A male is biologically unable to get kittens. If I know that's the entire animal kingdom Sun There are at most in some species where the animal is required to switch their gender. But one never-dropped the young males the

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And where you have the male? If it is from a parthenogenetic birth, we can stop here to discuss ;-)

PS:
A male is biologically unable to get kittens. If I know that's the entire animal kingdom Sun There are at most in some species where the animal is required to switch their gender. But one never-dropped the young males the
Yes the male is from a parthenogenic birth. We are searching for the photo of the male FROM A PARTHENOGENIC BIRTH that gave birth. As soon as we find the photo we will post it here.

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Then there is a female and not male. In a parthenogentischen birth there are ONLY females.

Sorry men

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
haha wow i didnt think the males were parthogenic too.

is there any benefits to mating them? better broods? larger broods?
I'm not 100% on this so maybe some one who is can chime in.

The benefit would be genetic variety. Stronger/more resilient offspring should be produced from a mating. As I understand it parthenogenesis is almost like cloning. All of your offspring produce this way will have the same susceptibilities. On an individual level I'm not sure it matters but looking at a larger population that could prove to be a real weak point. But again, I don't know much about it and I'm really just using some basic understanding of biology and a little bit of logic/extrapolation to draw that conclusion.

ryan88

Arachnopeon
What the! :eek:

Male at the left, Female at the right.

It will take me about a week before i can get a photo of their ventral side.

Again, I no longer keep adult communally again to save space. The mating happened accidentally and was never attempted again. No off springs were produce after the mating, both are already dead.

Didn't want to cause a fuzz nor to step on anybodies toes. Never claimed that i know everything about this species. Only that i have more than i can handle.

Male or Female you decide. If you believe that they are all females then there's no point continuing the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
H.hottentotta from parthenogenetic populations produce thelytokous, all female broods. What you have here, my friends, are small adult females and large adult females (that became adult one instar later than the small females). There are size classes in Buthids, as I explained many times on the Venomlist to our members there (See the FAQ section for a post called variation in size and coloration.

I have seen males of H.hottentotta from sexual populations and these have , to name one thing, very large bulky chela. What you are calling a male in your pictures, is simply a small female.
Males do not give birth in nature, what WHERE you thinking? LOL

Regards, Michiel

ryan88

Arachnopeon
Originally Posted by Michiel:
Yes, it was wrong of me to assume you guys drunk too much, but you should have made sense, and you are not. What sort of drugs are you on?
Haven't tried any yet. What do you recommend?

Sexual dimorphism not readily apparent with this specie, width of pedipalp chela same in both sexes. That's base on what František Kovař�k wrote.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Let me add another view point on this sp :cool:

Maybe they are hermaphrodites :) ....after they mate both sexes will give birth to a new scorplings. examples are like plant doing cross pollination, worms mating, snails copulating and other animals. Some sp of scorpion might have this ability too.

:)eek: I think I just made myself a target)

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is not who is right or wrong. My concern is that this false facts are common. The reading with the time X people and think really can get hottentotta Hottentotta male pups.

@ Vixvy:

I find nice that you have fun on this thread. However, such comments make you anything but a credible.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haven't tried any yet. What do you recommend?

Sexual dimorphism not readily apparent with this specie, width of pedipalp chela same in both sexes. That's base on what František Kovař�k wrote.
Kovarik is a good friend of mine, and you seem to misinterpret his work. I am out of this thread, go spend some one elses time.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I've trimmed a lot of the off topic gibberish and personal attacks from this thread. Now, that being said:

Sex is a mysterious thing. :D There are plenty of examples in nature of animals which do not follow a very simple male/female/sexual reproduction type system. We are discovering new mating systems, sexual flipping, sexual ambiguity etc. all the time. There are several types of parthenogenesis and we discover new animals displaying this mating system with surprising regularity.

That being said, what I am reading here is rubbish of the highest order. The skeptics are quite right to be skeptical. First thing's first, I see no mention of how the species of these specimens was determined and if there was a reliable collection locale. Let's assume not and keep them as Hottentotta sp. for now. Secondly, I see no mention of dissections on here. Using secondary sexual characteristics (which is what chela thickness etc. is) I can prove that human males can give birth. If I go through the various maternity wards of the various hospitals, I'm sure I can find a pregnant mother with a bit of a mustache and hands that make mine look dainty.

What this situation needs is a bit of actual investigation on the part of the people making the extraordinary claims. I'm not going to keep my hopes up on that one happening, though.

Cheers,
Dave

Avery

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good lord! These scorpions are multiplying at an exponential rate. Soon we'll be overrun! Just kidding. Cool scorps.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
Male, female, whatever. I just think they are so cute!

If I go through the various maternity wards of the various hospitals, I'm sure I can find a pregnant mother with a bit of a mustache and hands that make mine look dainty.
That is such a great mental image.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
never really had any luck with my HH reproducing. She had one brood (her first one) and it was just eggs, they weren't really even developed into first instars yet. Since then (over a year since) she has gotten fat, but no production. Shame really, she might only have another year or so to live (maybe 2). Although I'll be honest, I don't really want hundreds of HH's running around :p