Hottentotta hottentotta

ryan88

Arachnopeon
I know there are tons of care sheets already here, but still there are couple or so inquiries on how i keep mine. A friend suggested to post it here.

So here goes.
Temperature: Average 29-32C at day and 27-28 at night.
Humidity: 50-60%
Basically i use coco husk or coco dust for substrate and misting 2x a week. Remember not to mist directly at the scorpion.

I also feed them 2x a week. Hottentotta hottentotta are very aggressive scorpion. The venom level is a 3-3.5 out of 5 and able to take down bigger prey.

Hottentotta hottentotta are parthenogenetic. That means that a female of this species can produce off springs without ever mating with a male. Gestastion period every 3-4 months.

I started with one female and ended up with more then i can handle. So better think about taking of more 1-2, cause when they start popping there's no stopping them:razz:

Now i keep in smaller container to save some space.

And kept some early instars in a communal setup.

Here's some of the new batch{D

Hope these help.
Thanks!

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To all people who have availed our free HH. This caresheet is all base from our own experience. This by far is the best in my own humble opinion.

Very Very detailed! the best!

This is very HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Kudos to you my friend ryan88!

Thats not even the whole collection of HH its only partial. <edit> hehehehe!

Last edited by a moderator:

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
To all people who have availed my free HH. This caresheet is all base from our own experience. This by far is the best in my own humble opinion.

Very Very detailed! the best!

This is very HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Kudos to you my friend ryan88!
Very good care sheet it'll help me out a lot thanks a lot for this care sheet

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks, i was hoping to pick up one female this weekend.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got my 1st second generation brood from my hottentotta, i will have that amount of yours in next year! :D

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
theyre 2i so i hope its a female :/ I heard theres rare cases of males. how many have you gotten?
Out of 3 broods of 30's we got 5-6pcs of male only. I asked my friend ryan88 to post some photos of hh mating. I think this is the only photo or record of hh mating. Again we might not be sure if theres any record of hh mating but this could be the first one.

Thou both male and female produces slings. Female gives more slings than males.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
I noticed one thing, there weren't any hides or anything in the individual containers i was wondering if it was necessary to have or not? and reason i asking i got 30 1-2 instars of these's and i keep losing some and i am trying to figure it out i have then in there own containers i try feeding once or twice a week ( sometimes they dont eat at all) temps in my house are 78 all times and humidity is 50% + in my house just cant seem to figure out wtf ;/

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thou both male and female produces slings. Female gives more slings than males.
haha wow i didnt think the males were parthogenic too.

is there any benefits to mating them? better broods? larger broods?

ryan88

Arachnopeon
Originally Posted by vixvy
Out of 3 broods of 30's we got 5-6pcs of male only. I asked my friend ryan88 to post some photos of hh mating.
Sorry bro, relayed you the wrong information. Out of 30 females 5-6 males were produce from their brood.
Here's a couple of photos taken while mating. This was taken 3 years back. It was by accident when i about to make a communal set up for adults.

Mating was succesful, however no brood was produce. Still don't know why? Both are now deceased.

Originally Posted by JoeyS
I noticed one thing, there weren't any hides or anything in the individual containers i was wondering if it was necessary to have or not? and reason i asking i got 30 1-2 instars of these's and i keep losing some and i am trying to figure it out i have then in there own containers i try feeding once or twice a week ( sometimes they dont eat at all) temps in my house are 78 all times and humidity is 50% + in my house just cant seem to figure out wtf ;/
So far i haven't use any hides for them from slings to adults, no problem so far. 78F (that's 25.5C) that seems to be too cold for them. their methabolism will go slower and will refuse to eat.

Originally Posted by gromgrom
is there any benefits to mating them? better broods? larger broods?
So far no data yet. Both never poduced any brood, the male died after 2 months and the female died 3 months after mating. Probably from old age

This specie can produce slings when it reaches subadult (6th instar). However when it does, it will never molt again. It is capable of producing 3-4 broods (rarely do they produce 5 broods, but somethimes it happens)in their lifetime.

Thanks!{D

ryan88

Arachnopeon
@RyoKenzaki
Yes even males can produce slings, however fewer than the females.

Goon_CH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is this Hottentotta hottentotta, Hottentotta hottentotta nigrocarinatus or Hottentotta hottentotta ex caboverdensis?

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@RyoKenzaki
Yes even males can produce slings, however fewer than the females.
Yeah, of course and I have 200 million dollar in the bank and I am loved by Beyonce AND Rihanna ALL DAY LONG. :)

Wake up man, he is pulling your leg. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the case of HH we personally saw a male giving birth. But with regards to H.longimanus this needs more study and research as from what I know almost all of them are WC. The sexual dimorphism of h.longimanus pectines is hard to determine not like the other heterometrus or pandinus that we can easily determine the sex.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Enlighten me, what make u said the one giving birth are male?
From what i know, biologically, male aren't design to give birth, if they do then i wonder what's the different between male and female
Eleborate more if u are serious :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe a smaller, less able to compete, female, acts male in order to gain some sort of competitive addvantage. I coarse I could be an absolute fool for sugesting it. I'm really out of my league when it comes to biology.

John