Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Hottentotta hottentotta care

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by meuhmeuh, Jun 5, 2004.

1. meuhmeuh

meuhmeuh Arachnopeon

Advertisement

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  2. Mr. X

Mr. X Arachnoknight

Hi,
    First of all, yes, they have quite a potent venom: about 3 on a scale of 5...not enough to be fatal but you dont want to be stung by them...

Second, that's true, they can be fed small to medium size crikets cause it's a small scorpion and if it's bigger than half its size it would'nt eat it.

But they are easy to care and fun to watch...The second scorpion I owned was a Hottentotta trilineatus wich is a little more venemous than hottentotta hottentotta but is kept in the same conditions and behaved like H. Hottentotta.

So if your responsible it's a good scorpion to have, often outside, eat alot, always sting its prey and easy to care but if you dont want to get one after reading this you could also get a Hardrurus Arizonensis or a Scorpio Maurus wich are desert species and not potent like hottentotta spp.

Peace

Xav

3. meuhmeuh

meuhmeuh Arachnopeon

4. Mr. X

Mr. X Arachnoknight

Yeah,
    I got a p.liosoma too, but the sting is a little more strong from what i read.

It's a really nice specie and easy to care but my p.liosoma is not active like my hottentotta was. So in my case hottentotta should be a better choice.

Peace
    xav

5. G. Carnell

G. Carnell Arachnoemperor Old Timer

EU
    you wont want to get your fingers near it anyway, H.H are VERY aggressive if wild caught, i tryed to get one but my mum wouldnt let me cos it was so aggressive :(
    hottentotta are bloody beautiful, theyre my favourite at the moment, the way they kill crickets !!!!!! you wait and see :O

6. meuhmeuh

meuhmeuh Arachnopeon

7. fusion121

fusion121 Arachnoking Old Timer

UK
    Behaviour in scorpions seems to be quite variable between individuals, I have two A.bicolor, which everyone says are exceedingly agressive, mine however are very timid and run to their hides the moment they see me move and will only take small crickets compared to their size. I suspect alot of it has to do with maturity, both my A. bicolor are juveniles prehaps they become braver when they reach maturity, my 3rd instar A. australis certainly seems to be in state of perpetual terror :rolleyes:

8. meuhmeuh

meuhmeuh Arachnopeon

9. fusion121

fusion121 Arachnoking Old Timer

UK
    Well if he can do all his hunting in there then perhaps he might not want to leave :), but all scorpions I've kept generally go for a wander each night, it may just be that he'll only come out in the dead of night when you'll need a UV light to watch him, thats perfectly natural, don't expect him to wander round in the middle of the day.

10. darrelldlc

darrelldlc Arachnobaron Old Timer

I have two hottentotta spp. as well and they usually stay under their flat rock hides for the most part, sometimes they can be seen with a uv light at night though. They are very aggressive as well, the male will immediately smack the dirt with his tail and try to sting anything that gets too close. You made a good choice though they are beautiful scorpions.
    Cordially,
    Darrell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.