Hottentotta franzwerneri care info?

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hello guys,

I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 3i H.franzwerneri.
I have owned several Buthus occitanus, Heterometrus spinifer and a Hadrurus arizonensis, I know what I'm doing too.. I didn't wanna get into too hot species and this one is beautiful, so I went for that..
I managed to gather very little info on how to care for them, any tips? What I'm mostly in need of is info about housing..
Thanks!

And for those of you who are waiting some updates on my H. hadrurus arizonensis which successfully molted, don't worry that will come, I just wanted to get a pic of it once it had dried and stuff, but it's still in its burrow :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I believe you jst house it like any other desert scorp. Sand or dirt, dry, water dish, and the size can be about 2-3x length and 2x width (a little big). Height doesn't matter, etc. Think they are pretty easy care wise :D

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Ok, thanks!
I have read that they never burrow, could someone who has them confirm? :)

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
Hi. Sorry for just intruding this way. But a friend of mine own a Buthus occitanus and has sent me some videos of it showing extreme agression. In one of the vids the scorp really is waving its metasoma around in all kinds of directions trying to hit the nearby object, a pen in this case. I do not remember my former A. Bicolor being that agressive for example. So I really thought that the Buthus occitanus was really hot. Is it not?

Last edited:

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
No problem dude!
I agree this species is very agressive, but by "hot" I meant not medically significant venom-potency wise.. Be careful not to confuse it with Buthus tunetanus, which used to be a subspecies of B.occitanus, whose venom can be lethal! :)
My adult female (I have to young ones too) tends to freeze and get into an agression posture as soon as she gets touched or even approached by any unknown object. Then if you touch her again she tries to nail the thing you handle her with.. quite naughty species indeed! :D
I have never had to deal with my younger specimens though, I just let them be in their terrariums. :)

Henry1975

Arachnopeon
Ok. Thanks for the info. Must have been the confusion with Buthus tunetanus, I thought B. occitanus was at least nearly leathal. According to my friend it really is for the prey though, they are said to die instantely after being stung. :)

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Hello guys,

I'm planning on getting 2 or 3 3i H.franzwerneri.
I have owned several Buthus occitanus, Heterometrus spinifer and a Hadrurus arizonensis, I know what I'm doing too.. I didn't wanna get into too hot species and this one is beautiful, so I went for that..
I managed to gather very little info on how to care for them, any tips? What I'm mostly in need of is info about housing..
Thanks! :)
I've been keeping H franzwerneri for about 2 years now and they are a breeze to care for
I Keep them at 75-90 F on a 70/30 sand/coco peat mix with cork bark as hides. Mist a side once a week is about all they need until adult and then obviously gravid females need more moisture.
I personally haven't lost a single specimen of my own broods yet and I've run some of them through rather harsh conditions ( survival of the fittest ! ) they are an awesome specie to keep and without a doubt my favorite hottentotta specie ... Yet :)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I'll get them in around 3 weeks. And I do agree they are the best looking Hottentotta species, and from what you say they must have a pretty cool behaviour too! :)

spidermom62

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping H franzwerneri for about 2 years now and they are a breeze to care for
I Keep them at 75-90 F on a 70/30 sand/coco peat mix with cork bark as hides. Mist a side once a week is about all they need until adult and then obviously gravid females need more moisture.
I personally haven't lost a single specimen of my own broods yet and I've run some of them through rather harsh conditions ( survival of the fittest ! ) they are an awesome specie to keep and without a doubt my favorite hottentotta specie ... Yet :)
Hi there. I know this is an old thread but I am getting an H franzwerneri this week at 5i. Is it possible to keep it in a 5 gallon tank or does it need a 10 gallon? :)

andrewctonus

Arachnopeon
They're very easy in my experience, however super slow growing. My two arrived in July 2015 and they still haven't fully matured for some reason despite being under heat and being well fed

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
They're very easy in my experience, however super slow growing. My two arrived in July 2015 and they still haven't fully matured for some reason despite being under heat and being well fed
Yes they are VERY slow growers but that just gives you a lot more time to enjoy them growing :) all of my 1st brood are still 4i-5i and still haven't lost a single baby yet. Glad you still have yours !

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Hi there. I know this is an old thread but I am getting an H franzwerneri this week at 5i. Is it possible to keep it in a 5 gallon tank or does it need a 10 gallon? :)
A 5 gallon would be plenty for a pair of adults and might be a bit big for a 5i specimen. I've found that in most cases using a smaller container makes it easier for your scorp to catch it's food Too big of container leaves them chasing their food too much and can actually stress the scorp out. H. Franzwerneri have huge clumsy chela so they tend to have a hard time catching prey in the first place It's nice to have a big pretty cage for them to display them in but purpose is more important to me than pretty :)

andrewctonus

Arachnopeon
Yes they are VERY slow growers but that just gives you a lot more time to enjoy them growing :) all of my 1st brood are still 4i-5i and still haven't lost a single baby yet. Glad you still have yours !
Still have mine from you that I got back in 2015! They're easily my favorite animals and really enjoyable to raise. Easy & slow growing is the way to go

spidermom62

Arachnopeon
A 5 gallon would be plenty for a pair of adults and might be a bit big for a 5i specimen. I've found that in most cases using a smaller container makes it easier for your scorp to catch it's food Too big of container leaves them chasing their food too much and can actually stress the scorp out. H. Franzwerneri have huge clumsy chela so they tend to have a hard time catching prey in the first place It's nice to have a big pretty cage for them to display them in but purpose is more important to me than pretty :)
Okay. I may just keep it in a kritter keeper then. Thanx so much for the info. :)

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Awesome !!!
Congrats they are both really cool species. I love mine, all of them are feisty as hell especially those raudus'
Good Luck with them and post pics down the line