Hot weather causing water dishes to dry up quick.

IronMaiden

Arachnopeon
Hi all, it's been rather hot lately where I'm at. mid 80's outside I keep my T's upstairs so probably closer to 90 inside. Thankfully my T's come from hot areas in the wild so I'm not worried about them cooking, but the Water Dishes have been drying up rather quickly. For my example my Brachypelma Boehmei's dish dried 2 times in a single day.

What do keepers that live in hot areas do to combat this annoyance? Maybe just get bigger water dishes???

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hi all, it's been rather hot lately where I'm at. mid 80's outside I keep my T's upstairs so probably closer to 90 inside. Thankfully my T's come from hot areas in the wild so I'm not worried about them cooking, but the Water Dishes have been drying up rather quickly. For my example my Brachypelma Boehmei's dish dried 2 times in a single day.

What do keepers that live in hot areas do to combat this annoyance? Maybe just get bigger water dishes???
Even if T’s come from warmer areas, they usually burrow down into the cooler dirt. My T room is on the top floor of my house and I had to put a window unit in there because the AC doesn’t do a great job of getting up there. I’d recommend at least throwing a fan on, but deeper water dishes would probably also help

IronMaiden

Arachnopeon
Even if T’s come from warmer areas, they usually burrow down into the cooler dirt. My T room is on the top floor of my house and I had to put a window unit in there because the AC doesn’t do a great job of getting up there. I’d recommend at least throwing a fan on, but deeper water dishes would probably also help
I have a ceiling fan and a AC in the room where I keep them. I was just using the fan but turned on the AC because I was getting tired of sweating.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Twice a day is very quick. Could rather be:
- too small
- wicked empty by webbing or substrate fibres
- not watertight

IronMaiden

Arachnopeon
Twice a day is very quick. Could rather be:
- too small
- wicked empty by webbing or substrate fibres
- not watertight
I keep my Boehmei in a critter keeper. I'm thinking about rehousing soon because she/he is getting on the larger side but they have a decent size water dish. My GBB has a smaller water dish but it dries up slower I don't get it lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Feed a lot, and deeper dishes

quirinus

Arachnoknight
It is not about heat, it's about humidity. Maybe you can dry your laundry near your spiders?

May I ask where u live? Do you live in the desert? Here in Middle Europe we got a heat wave too, but humidity at home is like 80 percent, I got the "problem" with dry air only in winter.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
BIgger dishes, Prioritize cross ventilation over top vents. It's been almost 100 outside lately where I live and I'm still good with once/week. No AC, it's probably 85 or so in the spider room.
Feed them well too, they get a good amount of moisture from food

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Twice a day sounds like it’s being wicked out by webbing and or incredibly shallow dishes.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Can't edit my last post because I lost my active status (darn life preventing me from wasting time on the internet), but I wanted to agree with @Smotzer.

I do have a few dishes that are always dry by the time maintenance day comes around. This only happens with my heavy webbers, or if a chunk of moss/dirt is resting right against the side.

To remedy this, I just put another dish in or on top of the one that's webbed up. Do yourself a favor and buy a bag/box of 2oz snack/deli cups. If one gets webbed up you can just plop a new one into the old one. That way you don't have to destroy the web removing the old one. They're big for small specimens but work well for a lot of juvies and adults.

Might get heat for this - but they'll be fine if they run out of water for a bit. I wouldn't let them go without for long, but even if it's 90° where your spiders are, twice a day is excessive.

8 legged

Arachnoprince

I change the water one way or another every second day - I don't care about rapid evaporation!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm...

Out here, it does get around 25-30 C, sometimes 40+ C on the absolute warmest days. My Ts are located in the basement, where it's usually 22-24 C year round. Rarely do I need to fill up water dishes more than once a week, regardless of season. Major exception is when there's either webbing or substrate on the dish, which wicks the water fast enough. A basic cleaning/rinsing fixes this issue.

Best of luck with yours :)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I keep my Boehmei in a critter keeper. I'm thinking about rehousing soon because she/he is getting on the larger side but they have a decent size water dish. My GBB has a smaller water dish but it dries up slower I don't get it lol.
I also keep my boehmei in a KK, and she has a plastic plant pot saucer (or whatever they're called) as a dish . I can also attest to the fact, that during summer, water disappears out of that dish as soon as my back is turned it seems. It's mainly the top ventilation, even though I've got another smaller enclosure on top , that ventilation runs all around the sides of the lid too. But I also heavily suspect she has something to do with it as well! Even though the dish is never flipped or moved I have often seen her standing in it - she's up to something 😂

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, Ts have the bad habit of filling their dishes with sub. One option is to place a second dish. I've done this with my porteri and she seems to recognize that water dish #2 is for drinking only.