Hot Scorpion Sex

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dear Scorpion Forum-

I never thought the letters I read here were real, but then it happened to me...

(Sorry, that's a joke, couldn't resist! ;P )

Anyway, I was raising a big batch of emperor (P. imperator) babies communally, but when it was time for their ultimate molt, I decided to split them up because the cage was getting a little cramped and I was afraid of canibalism during the vunerable molting period. Normally, this isn't a problem, these scorps had been together from birth, but they had grown so much that the cage didn't seem to offer the molting privacy it once did.

I split them up individually into plastic shoe boxes to take them through the molting period. They molted successfully, into some of the biggest emps I've ever seen (great argument for buying captive bred!). All were increadibly voracious afterwards, so I fed them large cockroaches until their appatites seemed to level off. I decided it was time to pair them off for breeding.

I know emperors can be kept in large groups, but I don't like to push it if I don't have to, so I usually go with pairs. I sexed the scorpions, and I had the makings of 4 breeding pairs. I set up four 32 quart "blanket" boxes with deep, moist peat moss, plastic drainage pipe hides and water bowls. I also included flat pieces of slate as a surface of spermataphore deposit.

I knew, of course, the scorpions would probably mate, this was the plan. What I did not expect, was that ALL of the scorpions would go into courtship behaivior immedeately upon being introduced! It happened so rapidly that at first I assumed that they were attemting to eat each other, but as I watched I bagan to see the signs of courtship, in all four pairs. The males siezed the females' pedipalps and led them in a "dance" around the cages. Some (possibly all) the males stung their parters at some point (a normal part of scorpion courtship). I know it's anthopomorphising to say that they were kissing when they brought their chelicerae together, but that's what it looked like. Hell, they were making out! Two males out of the four made use of the slate to deposit spermataphores, the other two used other locations in the cage. They then guided the females over them, who presumably recieved them (couldn't see that part). Now, all seems back to normal.

I wish I had a digital camera.

Just wanted to share this. It's intersting, If I haden's split them up before, the likleyhood of me actually seeing this would have been slim.

Wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Oh My God, you killed the Webmaster!!!

I almost choked to death when I read that first line. Thanks Alot Wade. :D

Scott

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm just glad someone got it without me having to go through the embarassment of explaining it :8o

Wade

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Why I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to.:D

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

Next time you should set up one 128 quart enclosure and see what transpires. ;)

Interesting point on seperating and then reintroducing, though. Perhaps if I start going the big guys (Heterometrus/Pandinus) on a larger scale, I could try this technique with hesitant breeders. Hell, maybe I should try jump-starting some C.exilicauda romance in this fashion. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Dave

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol

penthouse? This material is more like extreme hardcore.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Wade,

Next time you should set up one 128 quart enclosure and see what transpires. ;)

Interesting point on seperating and then reintroducing, though. Perhaps if I start going the big guys (Heterometrus/Pandinus) on a larger scale, I could try this technique with hesitant breeders. Hell, maybe I should try jump-starting some C.exilicauda romance in this fashion. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Dave
I think it may be it may have been just good timing. It had been a couple months since they had molted, and I was feeding pretty heavy before the intro (to reduce predatory response). They were primed and ready! I wonder if they would have responded that way if I'd kept them split up annother 6 months?

Wade

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
can you say penthouse forum? :D
Ed
More like pethouse forum. (That was bad, I know).

Separation and reintroduction works with breeding frogs and certain species of lizards. Good to know that it applies to other species as well. Now I want to try breeding scorpions myself!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Wade
I wonder if they would have responded that way if I'd kept them split up annother 6 months?
Sounds like we have ourselves an experiment. Just give me another month to two years to get set up and we can share results. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Indeed! It would be cool if we got it down to an exact science.

"now we will watch scorpions reproduce."

Wade

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Shouldn't that be pethouse farm? Watch two mares and a stud take a roll in the hay?

:D :rolleyes: :D

John
];')