Hot damn!

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those emperors really CAN draw blood!

I never really believed it, considering how many times I've been pinched and come away unscratched.

But yep, those bastards can make you bleed. Didn't really hurt too badly, but I'll be damned if I didn't just lose at least a tablespoon-full of my vital fluids.

Bastard also crapped on my work pants, so I'll have to wake up early tomorrow to wash the laundry.

Serious question, though. Since H. arizonensis is a desert species, can they be easily kept by a Floridian?

And I've read that they aren't communal, but can often be kept together. In your opinion, how many can safely be kept in a 10 gallon?

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1) You really shouldn't have any trouble keeping H. arizonsis in Florida as long as you use a light as your primary heat source. The light will disapate any excess humidity.

2) H. arizonsis has been kept successfully in a comunal situation, though there is a risk of losing one. I would say that two in a 10 gallon would be safe, though you should probably give them four hides--two in the warmer part of the tank and two in the cooler part, that way they can each select the 'best' hide.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Two for a 10 gallon is about the minimum as Reitz said. You also need to make sure you keep them well fed to prevent cannibalism.

John
];')

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Two for a 10 gallon is about the minimum as Reitz said. You also need to make sure you keep them well fed to prevent cannibalism.

John
];')
You mean maximum, right?

Also, are there any dealers who sell sexed desert hairies (arizonensis or spadix)? Because it doesn't do me much good if I buy the maximum of two per 10 gallon tank, and end up getting two males or two females.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
What? You're not psychic?

Sorry...minimum tank/enclosure size fo two H.arizonensis or H.spadix is what I meant...though larger is better...You can keep more...I have kept 3 in a five gallon temporarily but you are risking it.

John
];')