The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer

Jango 15.3, ~2000 lb, aka Battle Wagon, Sumo, Hairball, Rescue Ranger

The Snark

Old Timer
House. Snerk.
One day at the ranch where he kept some people, the owners of the ranch took leave of their senses, deciding to breed Jango to their pride and joy Thoroughbred.
So one day I got a call. "We got a foal."
I ask how mom and baby were and she replied, "How about you come and look."
So I toddled on over and went up to the corral to view the critter. The lady of the ranch came walking over. She started, "I mean no offense to Jango...."
She hesitated so I filled in the blank for her, "...but that might just be the ugliest throw east or west of the Mississippi."
Her hubby joined us and put in, "If there is a god, he has one sick sense of humor."
She added, "If ever they had an event for worst confirmation, we have a shoe in."
And he tossed in, "Now we know what a cross between a horse and a gorilla looks like."

So imagine, the back end the refined graceful legs and contoured rump of the classic Thorough, a beautiful sorrel with glints of gold, sloping on down a good hand and a half to the monstrous bulk of Jango's sumo wrestler physique and short thick forelegs. The sorrel faded in places to show some buckskin making it look like it had some strange disease. It also has his great mop of a hiardo, coal black shot with sorrel here and there. (Note how small Jango's head looks compared to his body in the picture.)

On the plus side a couple bred their palomino Belgian Draft to Jango with rather startling results. I didn't meet 'Tater Tot' (cringe) until he was over 2 years old. 18.2 and 2300 lbs, palomino with Jango's black hairdo. He later bulked up to around 2900 lbs. Pulled a 2 horse wagon by himself with ease. The exact opposite of Jango's disposition he was a gem around everybody. Kids used to have competitions seeing who could climb up on his back while he amiably stood like a statue in his paddock. Had a picture of him with 5 kids on his back.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
@Chris LXXIX What is your point? Horse meat is cleaner than beef. Has less additives, less hormones, less antibiotics. So what?
Go start a thread in the Watering Hole and get to riding the conservative christians and their cloven hoof fetish. Label your thread appropriately so those who are offended, don't care or aren't interested can ignore it.

Every time I had to put a horse down and disposed of the carcass I felt it was a waste of good food. But I also had the courtesy to others to be aware that many people develop great affection for these animals and are sensitive about these things.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Chris LXXIX What is your point? Horse meat is cleaner than beef. Has less additives, less hormones, less antibiotics. So what?
Go start a thread in the Watering Hole and get to riding the conservative christians and their cloven hoof fetish. Label your thread appropriately so those who are offended, don't care or aren't interested can ignore it.

Every time I had to put a horse down and disposed of the carcass I felt it was a waste of good food. But I also had the courtesy to others to be aware that many people develop great affection for these animals and are sensitive about these things.
I was just joking, man (aside for my real love for horse meat, I mean).

The Snark

Old Timer
I was just joking, man (aside for my real love for horse meat, I mean).
I'm ambivalent. But I know for a fact some people are extremely sensitive about horses and their treatment. I'd rather not see threads that should be enjoyable irritate people or even turn into hate fests. A flippant attitude about certain things, and horses being one of them, is enough for some people to kiss AB off altogether.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm ambivalent. But I know for a fact some people are extremely sensitive about horses and their treatment. I'd rather not see threads that should be enjoyable irritate people or even turn into hate fests. A flippant attitude about certain things, and horses being one of them, is enough for some people to kiss AB off altogether.
Well, mine was a joke, but sorry and accept my honest appy polly loggy if I was too rude, then. For me to eat horse meat is pure normality and an ancient old tradition of France and Northern Italy, btw. Belongs to certain people culture, at the end. I don't hate nor I'm pissed off by Asians that "wok" cats & dogs or fry T's and centipedes on a regular basis.

This doesn't mean that I hate those animals nor that I disrespect those who love horses. My family always had horses in the past as well, but if someone decide to leave this (or another) site, only because a complete stranger that lives millions of KM away loves to eat his/her beloved pet meat, well... mah & his/her choice.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I think people understand. I simply wanted to make it clear. I won't judge horse owners. It's often an extremely emotional bond. Some of their relationships with their animals, many in fact, are bittersweet and so often end in tragedy. I've been that tragedy on more than one occasion, despised, reviled, hating the job of pulling the trigger, yet glad I was able to swiftly put an end to the suffering and that I didn't have to hand the job to someone else. I can deeply relate to how horse owners feel.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think people understand. I simply wanted to make it clear. I won't judge horse owners. It's often an extremely emotional bond. Some of their relationships with their animals, many in fact, are bittersweet and so often end in tragedy. I've been that tragedy on more than one occasion, despised, reviled, hating the job of pulling the trigger, yet glad I was able to swiftly put an end to the suffering and that I didn't have to hand the job to someone else. I can deeply relate to how horse owners feel.
Sic transit gloria mundi, at the end, man. What matters is what lives inside us.