Horror Films Starring Real Spiders, Tarantulas

skreem61

Arachnopeon
Here's a piece from one of my recent blogs, I figured the Arachnoboard mebers would find intersting.

We here at Apprehensive Films love spiders, especially tarantulas. We even have a handful of pet tarantula's hanging around the office (which we'll post in a future blog). So we decided to take a look back at those few brave horror films that had the guts to work with real spiders in a major way. Enjoy.

•Tarantula 1955
•Kiss of the Tarantula 1976
•Kingdom of the Spiders 1977
•Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo 1977
•Arachnophobia 1990
•Taranthriller 1993

For More info on these films and to see the posters check out: http://afcinema.blogspot.com/

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What about music videos? I know two.

Avenged Sevenfold
-Afterlife
-Nightmare

I think both have B. smithi or Aphonopelma. I can't remember right now.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know of an old movie...maybe one of those...that actually killed tons of spiders to make the movie. The spider death scenes were real. Just for that, I try to avoid them except "arachnophobia" since I don't know if the scenes are gonna be real or not. Anyone recommend a good movie where they for sure don't kill real spiders for the movie?

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
In the horror eight legged freaks they included many true spiders and a few tarantulas in the beginning scenes before they "mutated" after that they just used CG and perpetuated the myth of killer spiders, but funny movie nonetheless

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I gotta chime in because I feel you're all neglecting :embarrassed: the greatest film of all featuring a tarantula (in a cameo role, but hey ...) - I speak, of course, of that epic cinematic masterpiece, "Have Rocket Will Travel," starring the Three Stooges!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The Tarantula from "Home Alone"{D

[YOUTUBE]tvkZF7E13_A[/YOUTUBE]

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course they used tarantulas - smithi's I think - in the Indiana Jones movies ...

oogie boogie

Arachnopeon
Pumpkinhead (1988) had some B. Smithi cameos at the old hag's house. You can clearly see flick its hair

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pumpkinhead

^ One of the best horror flicks of all time! :clap:

It's been awhile since I've seen it and don't remember the smithi- guess it's time to bust that one out again :D

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
in the mummy 2 theres a bunch of b. smithi and empoer scorpions i think thas how you spell {D

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In a teen movie called "the first time" theres a T. I remembered getting so angry at it. One guy exclaims "it's a yadda yadda yadda" something very fancy in latin or something, and it wasn't an actual name for a tarantula, and it looked like a rosie.

They also say t's are highly poisonous.. *facepalms*

Not a horroflick, just wanted to vent my frustrations XD

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For anyone interested, I am keeping up a running commentary of the movie "arachnophobia" on facebook. It's alot of fun!

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No one has mentioned the movie "the Beyond" yet, so i'm going to post the scene that features tarantula's here. These tarantulas are supposed to be supernatural in nature so that explains their murderous behavior. I'm no expert but it looks to me like they used B. Smithies and another species thats either G. rosea or a North American T species that i've seen a few times before. If anyone is able to ID them better than me please do.

WARNING: This video contains scenes of extreme gore.

EDIT: It seems i don't know how to embed youtube vids, but i guess this scene is gory enough that maybe i shouldnt embed it anyway, heres the direct link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqqVo0JxM4

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Stephen King's 'Desperation' on now that is what made me think about it. Short scene of T's on a dead body and true spiders.

skreem61

Arachnopeon
The Beyond is a great Italian horror film by Lucio Fulci! Amazing atmosphere and some very interesting use of tarantulas.

JuiceboxBiotch

Arachnopeon
In the movie "Fierce Creatures" (1997) there is a funny scene with a big 'ol B. Smithi crawling around... hilarity ensues.