Horny Tarantulas!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,118
Not what you think.

I just wanted to get some information about some of the various "horned" tarantulas.

I wanted to know if all the various horned species of tarantulas have similiar attitudes and housing requirements to each other.

What are their housing requirements/temperments?

Are there any horned species that are vividly colored?

Anything else anyone wild like to add?

Thanks
Big Dragonfly
 

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
1,224
Just a small tip.

All scientific names that contain the word "CERATO" like ceratogyrus or something like that means that the spesific animal has horns.

Same goes with tarantulas.
 

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
664
I got my first "horned: tarantula this week, and at 2 inches, she is full of attitude.
I am housing her similar to my P. murinus and P. chordatus. A bit on the drier size with ample substrate for burrowing and a cork bark retreat. I also have a shallow water bowl for her to fring from.
I very cool taratula. I plan on getting a couple additional "horned" species and possibly will try to breed them.
 

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Joined
Jul 16, 2002
Messages
1,918
Originally posted by vardoulas
Just a small tip.

All scientific names that contain the word "CERATO" like ceratogyrus or something like that means that the spesific animal has horns.

Same goes with tarantulas.
Actually, not all of them. Ceratogyrus meridionalis does not have a foveal protuberance (Horn) :)

Scott
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Don't forget Sphaerobothria hoffmanni, which AFAIK is the only New World horned species. Unfortunately I can give no information on its care as I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on one :( but I'm still hoping to one of these days.

Joy
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
So let me ask the question, since noone has.

What's the horn for?

I've heard someone, I can't remember where, say it was like additional space for the hydraulic-like fluid that powers muscles. Is this true?

Bill
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Originally posted by conipto
So let me ask the question, since noone has.

What's the horn for?

I've heard someone, I can't remember where, say it was like additional space for the hydraulic-like fluid that powers muscles. Is this true?

Bill
Maybe like a little tarantula torque converter? ;)

Joy
 

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
1,258
Originally posted by Joy
Maybe like a little tarantula torque converter? ;)

Joy
Well, that beats the theory of it being a spoiler ;)

Bill
 

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
1,034
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Not what you think.

I just wanted to get some information about some of the various "horned" tarantulas.

I wanted to know if all the various horned species of tarantulas have similiar attitudes and housing requirements to each other.

What are their housing requirements/temperments?

Are there any horned species that are vividly colored?

Anything else anyone wild like to add?

Thanks
Big Dragonfly
I had an adult female c. marshalli........never saw it, very secretive, ended up trading it for some versicolor lings. very defensive when provoked (I had a heck of a time rehousing it, it actually grabbed the wooden dowel and I was able to drag it around in its deli cup while it was chomping on the dowel!
Ed
Ed
 
Top