Horny Tarantulas!

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not what you think.

I just wanted to get some information about some of the various "horned" tarantulas.

I wanted to know if all the various horned species of tarantulas have similiar attitudes and housing requirements to each other.

What are their housing requirements/temperments?

Are there any horned species that are vividly colored?

Anything else anyone wild like to add?

Thanks
Big Dragonfly

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a small tip.

All scientific names that contain the word "CERATO" like ceratogyrus or something like that means that the spesific animal has horns.

Same goes with tarantulas.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got my first "horned: tarantula this week, and at 2 inches, she is full of attitude.
I am housing her similar to my P. murinus and P. chordatus. A bit on the drier size with ample substrate for burrowing and a cork bark retreat. I also have a shallow water bowl for her to fring from.
I very cool taratula. I plan on getting a couple additional "horned" species and possibly will try to breed them.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by vardoulas
Just a small tip.

All scientific names that contain the word "CERATO" like ceratogyrus or something like that means that the spesific animal has horns.

Same goes with tarantulas.
Actually, not all of them. Ceratogyrus meridionalis does not have a foveal protuberance (Horn) :)

Scott

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Don't forget Sphaerobothria hoffmanni, which AFAIK is the only New World horned species. Unfortunately I can give no information on its care as I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on one :( but I'm still hoping to one of these days.

Joy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
So let me ask the question, since noone has.

What's the horn for?

I've heard someone, I can't remember where, say it was like additional space for the hydraulic-like fluid that powers muscles. Is this true?

Bill

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
So let me ask the question, since noone has.

What's the horn for?

I've heard someone, I can't remember where, say it was like additional space for the hydraulic-like fluid that powers muscles. Is this true?

Bill
Maybe like a little tarantula torque converter? ;)

Joy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
Maybe like a little tarantula torque converter? ;)

Joy
Well, that beats the theory of it being a spoiler ;)

Bill

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Not what you think.

I just wanted to get some information about some of the various "horned" tarantulas.

I wanted to know if all the various horned species of tarantulas have similiar attitudes and housing requirements to each other.

What are their housing requirements/temperments?

Are there any horned species that are vividly colored?

Anything else anyone wild like to add?

Thanks
Big Dragonfly
I had an adult female c. marshalli........never saw it, very secretive, ended up trading it for some versicolor lings. very defensive when provoked (I had a heck of a time rehousing it, it actually grabbed the wooden dowel and I was able to drag it around in its deli cup while it was chomping on the dowel!
Ed
Ed