horned Ts

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've noticed that some Ts have a "horn" on their carapace. Does anyone know if it serves any sort of purpose? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've noticed that some Ts have a "horn" on their carapace. Does anyone know if it serves any sort of purpose? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Ahh I remember reading something about it, but forgot, so if anyone would like to explain... please do.

BTW Kyrga, horned Ts are Ceratogyrus spp.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't think anyone knows 100% what it's actually for. It seems to be mostly guesses from what i've read.

I have a little C. brachycephalus that just molted...pretty cool T. You can see the little black nub of a horn even when pretty small.

~Fred

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
my C. marshalli has a horn that is now plenty big.

Besides being an African and getting my bias for how they look.
These are striking T's

As for the use of the horn.

I read somewhere that it is speculated that it offers a different way for some of the muscles to attach themselves in the prosoma.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is just a shot in the dark but I'm going to say maybe in the wild it could be used as some sort of defense?

maybe it adds in catching food like some animals have a lurr they use on their end of their tails or tongue....

Do both sexes have these horns? are the male's horns longer or shorter than the females? maybe the length of the horn can determine the sex? ....All these are just guesses / suggestions.

:? :confused: :? :confused:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is just a shot in the dark but I'm going to say maybe in the wild it could be used as some sort of defense?

maybe it adds in catching food like some animals have a lurr they use on their end of their tails or tongue....

Do both sexes have these horns? are the male's horns longer or shorter than the females? maybe the length of the horn can determine the sex? ....All these are just guesses / suggestions.

:? :confused: :? :confused:
I'm not sure about defense or luring. Good guess though.

In some Ceratogyrus spp. both possess horns, of course the males is much smaller, but C.marshalli males don't possess the horns at all. I want to know why.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BTW Kyrga, horned Ts are Ceratogyrus spp.
Novak, not just them, you have also:

Sphaerobothria hoffmanni
several Cyrtopholis spp.
Acanthoscurria acuminata

Probably some others as well, but these are the first that came to my mind.

Martin

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Novak, not just them, you have also:

Sphaerobothria hoffmanni
several Cyrtopholis spp.
Acanthoscurria acuminata

Probably some others as well, but these are the first that came to my mind.

Martin
Wow, I learn something new everyday! Are there any pictures of these Ts anywhere?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have pictures of S. hoffmanni on my site and there are here on the boards, I also have a picture of a Cyrtopholis sp. on my site with a horn.

There are pictures of A. acuminata in Sklipkan journal, in one of the last issues, I am sure there are as ome on the net.

Martin

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have pictures of S. hoffmanni on my site and there are here on the boards, I also have a picture of a Cyrtopholis sp. on my site with a horn.

There are pictures of A. acuminata in Sklipkan journal, in one of the last issues, I am sure there are as ome on the net.

Martin
What site? Your myspace website... or another one? Thanks for the info Martin!

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Martin
What site? Your myspace website... or another one? Thanks for the info Martin!
Ha, nevmind Tarcan found it.. http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/

Awesome, but neither of those species have quite the horn like Ceratogyrus spp.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Seems a pretty gd reason for a horn there, written by Rick West... bizarre! but it does make sense.

This is why i love keeping spiders... there is so much we are yet to learn about them.. Cats, dogs, horses etc we know pretty much every thing about them and their anatomy, behaviour etc but there is so much we don't know about spiders! Gotta love it! :D

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer