Horn of Ceratogyrus marshalli

Deta

Arachnopeon
Hello, after how many cm of legspan does a female of Ceratogyrus marshalli begin to form the 'horn ?
thank you so much.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Get out of here with your metric nonsense... we speak American in these parts.
It is such a hard habit to shake.
Once you start measuring in units based on body parts and everyday objects you can't imagine it differently. Lol

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
It is such a hard habit to shake.
Once you start measuring in units based on body part and everyday objects you can't imagine it differently. Lol
Yeh I’m in science/healthcare field so I use metric all the time but still can’t help seeing things in arbitrary American units of measure. I really hope we stop teaching that crap if I have kids. Although I won’t ever be sure how tall or how much they weigh

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Leg span may vary when horns become relevant, but usually at 2.5''-3'' (6.4cm-7.5cm) is when it usually becomes distinguishable in my experience. Like what @viper69 stated, it usually starts with more of a button then becomes more of a horn as it gets larger for females. But for males, it's usually just a button all the way in its lifespan whereas the females get horns. This doesn't really apply to C. darlingi as males and females get horns, so these examples are for C. marshalli only.

Examples of buttons and horns (males and females):

C. marshalli Juvenile Male (Freshly Molted) 2.5''-3'' (6.4cm-7.5cm) Legspan
IMG_1206.JPG

C. marshalli Mature Male (Freshly Molted)
IMG_1479.JPG

Juvenile Female 2.5''-3'' (6.4cm-7.5cm) There's a horn, but hopefully it's noticeable compared to the male example above.
IMG_1210.JPG

I don't have any mature size female C. marshalli yet, but they're sub-adults at the moment (about at 4''+ or 10cm+ in leg span) so their next molt should be their mature size molt.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I feel like I have to show mine, now. Lol
I actually took this picture this morning and posted it.
She is just over the two inch mark but it was noticable before her last molt. (It's incorporated into the webbing on the right. I didn't take it.)
20200802_064843.jpg

Deta

Arachnopeon
My C. marshalli are 2 inch,
thank you all for the information and for the photos. :)

1596488147288-2118156520.jpg

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Yeh I’m in science/healthcare field so I use metric all the time but still can’t help seeing things in arbitrary American units of measure. I really hope we stop teaching that crap if I have kids. Although I won’t ever be sure how tall or how much they weigh
Reading this I saw a news article the other day where a sinkhole appeared on the road and the news caption was "Sinkhole the size of 4 washing machines on highway". Do Americans not want to change or is it just a habit? (Asking out of interest only)

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Reading this I saw a news article the other day where a sinkhole appeared on the road and the news caption was "Sinkhole the size of 4 washing machines on highway". Do Americans not want to change or is it just a habit? (Asking out of interest only)
I think it’s Mostly a combo of familiarity/superiority/stubbornness

At least when I was in primary school and for a while after me we’re taught our inch/feet/mile/pec/bushel nonsense for many years before being exposed to metric.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I think it’s Mostly a combo of familiarity/superiority/stubbornness

At least when I was in primary school and for a while after me we’re taught our inch/feet/mile/pec/bushel nonsense for many years before being exposed to metric.
It's insane, I struggle a lot on forums like these because I always need to convert my measurements :rofl: "My T enclosure is roughly the size of 2 ice cream containers, a 3" deli cup and a small dog combined"