Hoping to have a question answered about my orchid mantis.

Tishtashtosh

Arachnopeon
So, I was wondering if a mantis does a lot of pooping on the lead up to a molt? My little lady never seems to stop. Between that and she is starting to turn pink, could it be in preparation for a molt? Thank you. Sorry if I have posted this on the wrong place

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I'm a first timer keeping this species, and mine is only on its fourth instar I believe. But all I've noticed is that the abdomen seems to stay plump longer, and the mantid will start to refuse food. When this happens, I suspect a coming molt, and I haven't been wrong yet. So, if anything, I feel like they would poop less in premolt based on my observation of the abdomen staying plump longer. Notwithstanding, my guess, however, is that their metabolism stays about the same as always.

Mantids poop a lot because they eat a lot. Thanks for your observations.

Tishtashtosh

Arachnopeon
She never used to poop nearly as much as this nearly every hour it seems. We haven't been feeding her any more or less and has always had a daily spray of water. The green band on her back has gone black as well.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
She never used to poop nearly as much as this nearly every hour it seems. We haven't been feeding her any more or less and has always had a daily spray of water. The green band on her back has gone black as well.
got a picture of her? as they get bigger they will poop more. I hade an adult euro mantis that pooped about that much.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So, I was wondering if a mantis does a lot of pooping on the lead up to a molt? My little lady never seems to stop. Between that and she is starting to turn pink, could it be in preparation for a molt? Thank you. Sorry if I have posted this on the wrong place
Not really. Thru will stop eating before a molt though.

Tishtashtosh

Arachnopeon
She is gone unfortunately. I'm guessing that she somehow ended up with an infection in her back end.