Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Hooks at the very end of her toes, and the airvents

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by synic, May 24, 2011.

1. synic

synic Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I just rehoused my B. boehmei, and just like her last rehousing, she's exploring. Trouble is, the new enclosure has those round mesh aluminum vents in the lid, and she keeps getting the little hooks (what are these?) on the end of her feet caught on them.

When she does this, she can still reach the substrate, but it seems like she has a hard time getting them unhooked. I've actually helped her once, but I'm beginning to think this is a bad idea because it freaks her out and she pulls harder. I don't want it to hurt her legs.

Is this something I need to worry about?

2. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

I would say yes.

I found a G. rosea hanging once by a leg and had been that way for ?? hours.

She was fine, but it could have ended worse.

For some of my enclosures I hot glued a plexiglass disc full of holes over the screened area. (T - side)

or you could simply replace it

3. Those are her tarsal claws. I have read about ts getting injured because of getting them stuck in wire mesh.

4. Shea

Shea Arachnosquire

MI
    When i got my first B. smithi she did the exact same thing but she would drop down an inch or two.... and then crawl right back up to the same spot and drop herself again. Its almost like she was doing it on purpose. She eventually stopped. Im not an expert but i think it might be fairly normal. Shes prolly just getting used to every thing :razz:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.