Honduras Tarantula ID?

Pico Bonito

Arachnopeon
Hi Friends,

Can anyone help me ID the tarantula in the attached photo? I live and work in Northern Honduras (The Lodge at Pico Bonito) and we see these commonly but don't know what they are. Thanks

Attachments

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats a tough one . I am pretty sure thats not a albopilosum , but I could be wrong .

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi. I sent you an email. Hopefully you got it. Would be great to talk about this, as i doubt it will be immediately obvious to anyone what the species is.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It does resemble B. albopilosum but the setae aren't right, they would be more abundant and curlier. I'm interested to see the answer to this question.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also curious??....nearly the same color combinations as B. albo , but doesnt match structurally at all (carapace shape, abdomen, legs)...nice lookin little T non the less.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Guys,

There are plenty of undescribed species in the world, it doesnt necessarily have to fit with one that's known. I think thats the case here. I have seen Brachypelma albopilosum from nearby sites in honduras, and they look like ones in the hobby. This one doesnt.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey Falk, just out of curiosity, what is it in that specimens anatomy that tells you this is Acanthroscurria?

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, well, it does seem rather difficult to determine the shape of spermathecae, or clarify whether there are plumose stridulating bristles on the retrolateral surface of palpal trochanter. Neither can i see the single prolateral tibial spur, apical cluster of spines; nor nodule on the retrolateral surface of palp...

i think i can see tan spinnerets though..

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Falk, just out of curiosity, what is it in that specimens anatomy that tells you this is Acanthroscurria?
I was going through a bunch of Acanthoscurria spp. pictures of species not in the hobby and i saw a male that looks similar to the one in the picture, also the shape of carapace but i am only guessing. But im sure it is not an b. albopilosum

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Falk,

If you have any pics of the mythical Acanthoscurria borealis, i would greatly appreciate to see the entire animal habitus. I am rather doubtful Acanthoscurria occur on mainland central america. Its not impossible, i just dont trust that A.borealis is from nearby Guatemala.

Best wishes
stuart

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Falk,

If you have any pics of the mythical Acanthoscurria borealis, i would greatly appreciate to see the entire animal habitus. I am rather doubtful Acanthoscurria occur on mainland central america. Its not impossible, i just dont trust that A.borealis is from nearby Guatemala.

Best wishes
stuart
Hi.
I never said Acanthoscurria borealis:) The picture just looks like an Achanthoscurria i had in my head. Cant remember where i saw the picture but it feels like i need to find it just to compare.

I could be totaly wrong:p

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i think this is a spiderling from the unknown tarantula species.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Why is everyone mentioning B albo? Is it because thats the only common T you know of with the word Honduran in it? If so, thats a horrible way to ID a T -Theres more than one species of tarantula from Honduras.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is that Mygalarachne brevipes?

i can't dind a pic on the internet of 1 so maybe i'm right :?

moose

Last edited:

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and i cant find a picture of Phormictopus atrichromatus from hondruas,... does it make it that species by default?

And no, i dont think its M.brevipes, the chelicerae are too small on this and the caput is much too low.

+1 Spidershane1. Well said.

-1 Metallica. Shame on you trying to matching a spiderling to an adult ... but at least you are talking about a spiderling from the same location ±1?