Homoeomma chilensis

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I was finally able to add a few 2i H.chilensis to my menagerie. They are sooo tiny and so active. I’m in love. I’ve raise dwarfs before so I’m use to the tiny size. Normally I’d be confident in care and husbandry but with a species I can’t replace…I find myself nervous and second guessing myself. I have them in small vials with tops soil and a pinch of sphagnum moss. Slightly damp. Feeding on the smallest pinheads. All but 1 has eaten. No burrowing yet and active.

How do/did you keep your tiny H.chilensis slings? Thanks everyone 😊

E159FE6A-6357-47F1-A165-F051A73A5CB8.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Homoeomma chilensis or not, I pretty much keep all terrestrial slings same.

If they are really really tiny, like less than 1/2” then I keep them in lip balm cases.

2D4EABF8-9BAF-45DC-80DE-89C412869504.jpeg

If they are larger than 1/2”, then I put them in toy car cases or 2oz deli cups.

3475A910-71FC-4D35-942B-E84F15C05F32.jpeg

215160DC-9952-4080-90ED-0CE8661D5E96.jpeg

Marlana

Arachnoknight

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was finally able to add a few 2i H.chilensis to my menagerie. They are sooo tiny and so active. I’m in love. I’ve raise dwarfs before so I’m use to the tiny size. Normally I’d be confident in care and husbandry but with a species I can’t replace…I find myself nervous and second guessing myself. I have them in small vials with tops soil and a pinch of sphagnum moss. Slightly damp. Feeding on the smallest pinheads. All but 1 has eaten. No burrowing yet and active.

How do/did you keep your tiny H.chilensis slings? Thanks everyone 😊

View attachment 399194
Remove the moss. They are bullet proof. But unique- see point 1

1. You can’t turn your back on them, they walk up and leave the container almost every time.

2 They are not very assertive eaters. They will sit for hours until whatever is the right moment for them and then attack. I've seen the first one below sit for hours. Or stalk the prey for hours, following it around. I come back a day later and I see it eating. It's really interesting, no other species I've owned does this to that extent.

3 Prey size needs to be just right for them or they won’t eat, they can go through periods of frequent eating at times

4 They tend to be in “premolt" upwards of 1-2 yrs sometimes

5 males can mature in 1.5 yrs

6 I keep mine at 72-76 day year round

7 They do burrow, but not always. At times they will make deep burrows then leave and restart a new one some months later at times - or go years without using one

8 they will use hides instead too

9 they will drink from a dish- highly variable

10 IME they are definitely an alert species

Last edited:

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Remove the moss. They are bullet proof. But unique- see point 1

1. You can’t turn your back on them, they walk up and leave the container almost every time.

2 They are not very assertive eaters. They will sit for hours until whatever is the right moment for them and then attack

3 Prey size needs to be just right for them or they won’t eat, they can go through periods of frequent eating at times

4 They tend to be in “premolt” upwards of 1-2 yrs sometimes

5 males can mature in 1.5 yrs

6 I keep mine at 72-76 day year round

7 They do burrow, but not always. At times they will make deep burrows then leave and restart a new one some months later at times - or go years without using one

8 they will use hides instead too

9 they will drink from a dish- highly variable

10 IME they are definitely an alert species

Thank you Viper! I appreciate it. I’ll take the moss out. I’m ready for the long haul with these babies!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Raised mine the same as any other NW terrestrial sling tbh.

2oz/4oz deli cup.
Slightly moist substrate.
Starter burrow (I just make a small hole in the sub that goes to the side of the enclosure so I can monitor the sling if it expands the burrow).
Small clump of sphagnum moss (I just pipette a few drops of water onto it every now and again to keep it damp)

sling enclosure1.png

Marlana

Arachnoknight
They sold out in under a minute and even caused a glitch in his website so it sold more than he wanted. So many people hit buy at the same time. I’ve seen this in other hobbies but it’s the first time I’ve seen it with tarantulas.

My tip is follow breeders on Instagram and Facebook. Pay attention to posts. Continuously look up the species you’re looking for. Not just Google but in groups, Instagram…etc. Not many people have the patience to do this but it’s how I’ve managed to get species that aren’t readily available and not sell my first born in the process. But luck is definitely involved too, considering how fast they sold.

WolvesInSpaceMarines

Arachnopeon
They sold out in under a minute and even caused a glitch in his website so it sold more than he wanted. So many people hit buy at the same time. I’ve seen this in other hobbies but it’s the first time I’ve seen it with tarantulas.

My tip is follow breeders on Instagram and Facebook. Pay attention to posts. Continuously look up the species you’re looking for. Not just Google but in groups, Instagram…etc. Not many people have the patience to do this but it’s how I’ve managed to get species that aren’t readily available and not sell my first born in the process. But luck is definitely involved too, considering how fast they sold.
The ONE time that not having social media accounts is my downfall lol. I guess I should just put them out of my mind as a potential species. It's a shame that I got into the hobby after they were commonly available. Congrats on your two! Hope that they are great for you. :)

Marlana

Arachnoknight
The ONE time that not having social media accounts is my downfall lol. I guess I should just put them out of my mind as a potential species. It's a shame that I got into the hobby after they were commonly available. Congrats on your two! Hope that they are great for you. :)
There’s still a chance we figure out what successful breeding conditions look like for them and can raise their numbers in the hobby. But yeah right now they are the most popular and one of the rarest. And at 1-2 successful egg sacs this year (both very small sacs)…it’s near impossible to get ahold of. I hope it’s not like that forever.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
If you got them from the place I saw them for sale...they were $350 for a 1/4" sling. It's frustrating seeing people busting heads like that.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
There’s still a chance we figure out what successful breeding conditions look like for them and can raise their numbers in the hobby. But yeah right now they are the most popular and one of the rarest. And at 1-2 successful egg sacs this year (both very small sacs)…it’s near impossible to get ahold of. I hope it’s not like that forever.
Who is “we” in the above statement? If there were/are spiderlings available for sale, then someone figured out the successful breeding conditions for the species.