Homoeomma chilensis prices

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
I know this has been answered in the past, but it's been a few years and I know the supply and demand has changed. I was just wondering what I should expect to pay for Hommeomma chilensis slings (1" approximately) and bigger (2"-3") I have found a few people who have some, but the prices always seem outrageous. 250 dollars for a 1", 300+ for bigger. Is this because they are so hard to find or are these people just driving up the prices to be, for lack of a better term, jerks.

I really want one, but I don't want to over pay for something just to have it, especially if the chance to buy one for cheaper should come up later.

Any input would be amazing. I have no idea what to do as I've never really looked into to prices when they were available and now I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be.

Thanks for your time,
Patrick

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I know that prices are way higher in the States, but this is insane! :eek:

Here in Germany, you pay about 20-30 € for an unsexed sling and about 50 € for a sexed female. I paid 19 € for my sling (but it's broken, it doesn't grow :p:rofl:).

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
That's been the going rate, when one is even available. At least from what I have seen recently. I forget who it was but a member on here was dying to get one, so they did, and paid something similar if I recall correctly.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Recent price is around $150, almost double what it used to be, but for $250? No way...

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know this has been answered in the past, but it's been a few years and I know the supply and demand has changed. I was just wondering what I should expect to pay for Hommeomma chilensis slings (1" approximately) and bigger (2"-3") I have found a few people who have some, but the prices always seem outrageous. 250 dollars for a 1", 300+ for bigger. Is this because they are so hard to find or are these people just driving up the prices to be, for lack of a better term, jerks.

I really want one, but I don't want to over pay for something just to have it, especially if the chance to buy one for cheaper should come up later.

Any input would be amazing. I have no idea what to do as I've never really looked into to prices when they were available and now I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be.

Thanks for your time,
Patrick
Ohh man! Those prices ate absurd! How can someone afford to be in the hobby living in the USA? For 300 dollars one can get 2 adult female Xenesthis immanis in Europe!

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I know that prices are way higher in the States, but this is insane! :eek:

Here in Germany, you pay about 20-30 € for an unsexed sling and about 50 € for a sexed female. I paid 19 € for my sling (but it's broken, it doesn't grow :p:rofl:).
Three years ago there were slings for 5 €, I bought 2 but as I were newbie I managed to kill them by improper care. :bigtears: Is havent yet get over it. :(

This autumn I bought 4 cm female for 25 €, it has eaten once since. I think that in this species sign of being broken is when they do grow. :D

As for US market, considering how popular they have become recently, US tendency to overprice popular species even if they are totaly common (e.g. hamorii), end of exports, and general non-self-sufficiency of US market, I think we are likely (going) to see absolutely crazy prices there.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Ya,ive over paided for spoods before.Supply and demand.I don't think the sellers are jerks,
just asking that price for a very popular T.
If people want that particular T,and have the resources,they will get them,or wait to see
if there are going to lower the price if they don't move at that price.
If they are not worth that to you,problem solved.
Or,we U.S T keepers could all pack it up and move to Europe.:D.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Or,we U.S T keepers could all pack it up and move to Europe.:D.
Come to Europe. It would have been so much easier with all keepers next to each other.
...however I'm scared of group escapes of all the OWs :D

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Welcome to the US, where all reputable sellers are those that inflates prices 200% of what they're worth. While the local breeders get no attention trying to sell off those T.'s that are way cheaper, so they sell to those overpriced reputable sellers in wholesale. :bag:

From what I can say, blame reputable sellers for inflation and overpriced T.'s. Which is why I thank the boards for having cheap prices from actual breeders instead of those overpriced reputable sellers who buy wholesale from those breeders. Pricing in the US is certainly isn't fixated right when it comes to females or certain species. So in conclusion: local/small breeder equals cheaper price. Reputable/popular seller equals inflated prices. :troll:

Hate me if you want, but I can assure you the highest price for most T.'s are those reputable sellers. It's like they have a VIP bonus charge, since they are reputable. It's understandable why they would be reputable, but overpricing isn't understandable, especially if they have such great business. :rolleyes:

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
What I'm trying to do now is get a bunch of them at a discount, I figure if I can pick up 15 or 20 at even 150 each, maybe that'll make it more worth it. The question then is this though, "Who would buy from me if I had 15 extra slings that I don't technically need?" And, "how much would I sell them for?"

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What I'm trying to do now is get a bunch of them at a discount, I figure if I can pick up 15 or 20 at even 150 each, maybe that'll make it more worth it. The question then is this though, "Who would buy from me if I had 15 extra slings that I don't technically need?" And, "how much would I sell them for?"
You're talking about spending a lot of money there, just wait for a better deal. Buying wholesale and then trying to sell off what you didn't even really want in the first place is just more work and I don't really think it would be worth your time.

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
And I understand that. But, the truth is the money isn't the issue, nor is the time. This is a very sought after species, and a beautiful and curious one at that. My thinking is more this... if I can get wholesale prices while getting a couple dream tarantulas, while also helping other people get there's at a cheaper price, why shouldn't I?

I know people want them, but don't want to pay ridiculous prices. I could potentially drop the price per sling by buying wholesale, and simultaneously bring a new generation of spiders in for breeding. I just want this species to be prevalent in the hobby, because I do believe it's one of the cooler species around, even if that's just my opinion.

I don't know, I have the money, and I have the time. I feel like maybe this is something that's worth it to me, but I completely understand where you're coming from and I appreciate all the feedback you have posted. This really is an amazing community to be a part of.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
This is a very sought after species, and a beautiful and curious one at that.
For now yes, and you are not the only one thinking it. As soon as first batch of them grow and reproduce successfully, then there surely will be price drop, and more numbers will be available.

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
I know, and that is exactly what I'm hoping. I'm not looking to make money, I just want the supply to be available for everyone to enjoy them. I am going to get a couple breeding pairs too so I can keep introducing more into the hobby. How cool would it be if they were as readily available as like a boehmei or albipolosum?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
People should wait with buying this species at those rates. There are multiple pairings going on, at least in Europe, so the availability will grow immensely, and prices should drop. Not sure how that works in the US though, US prices are a bit over the top anyway...

FloridaTGuy

Arachnopeon
Well the 150 a piece is for 1-1.25", but it still seems pricey. I can get a sexed pair for 525, which I'm kinda leaning towards. Both around 3".