Homemade water gel...

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever tried using the plain, non-flavored gelatin as a water source for feeder insects? It is found next to all of the "Jello" products in the store, but as far as I can tell it is just gelatin. Just experimenting with different options for my feeders. Thanks in advance for any responses/comments/suggestions!

Last edited:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
non-flavored gelatin as a water source

My old lady (jbrdsrose) says that it will virtually dry up within a day and that more than likely you will have to add water everyday.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Check local asian markets, or health food stores for Agar agar. Its sort of expensive, but worth every penny. It makes a gel when heated in water or fruit juice. I personally make it with organic blueberry juice, and add pieces of banana and spirulina powder into the mix as well. My roaches love it, its almost always gone in a couple of hours. You have to keep it in the fridge once you have turned the agar crystals into a gel, but it will last for months if covered well.

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gel

i will haft to try that agar agar
i know friends who say its good for crix but i dont know about roaches
i used gelitin and because it is a animal by product it rots very quickly
smells terrible
that is if you use it for roaches in the right temp
i think over 70 it will rot
hope this helps

thanx froggy

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if you are looking for something that you can leave for days and days to ensure hydration of feeders/nonpreds agar would pretty much be the opposite of the way you want to go

it is what is used to culture bacteria etc in labs....

plus, i can't imagine it is cheaper than water crystals

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just use the watering crystals that are found in the plant department of most stores like home depot or lowes. The crickets get plenty of water and they cant drown themselves.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
watersorb sells the crystals for about $18 for 2 pounds of crystals. it takes about 1 oz to make 16 oz size when hydrated. Thats plenty cheap id say OH and the price includes shipping

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
There's a product the store I used to work at sells, it's called Soil-Moist. It's one of the ones mentioned that you can get in the garden department of Lowe's, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or any farm supply store that carries a lot of gardening supplies.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to buying "Cricket water" type products, I used to get like 8-9 gallons worth for 8 bucks.

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
water crystals

i sell a differant type of water crystal
alot better for roaches than the soil stuff
soil stuff is a petrolium by-product
and is a form of rubber
mine is the exact same but it is natural
a by-product of the manufacting of wheat (wheat? no sure but a grain i know that)
i sell it for more but if you breed rarer specie it is worth it
i have 20 specie of roches and they all love it

thanx froggy

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I've grown up around farming all my life, and I can assure you, wheat is grown, not manufactured.
Maybe you mean it's a by-product of processing wheat?

the_frog_kid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes thats what i meant thankx for correcting me
i dont know how it ties in

thanx froggy

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
agar clarification...

Just a quick point of clarification, although used in labs, agar itself is not used to culture bacteria, but rather to gel the culture broth and provide a solid substrate for bacterial cultures rather than a liquid one.
And since it was mentioned, this was the reason I started this post/question: A lot of the water crystal compounds out there are synthetic polymers or by-products of some other synthesis reaction. This is why I was asking about natural gelling compounds such as agar and gelatin. This is a two-fold interest. First, it should be safe for the feeder and provide the water/moisture necessary. Second, if safe for the feeder, it should also be safe for whatever will eventually eat the feeder and any residual compound(s) within it.
Interestingly, I have also had people respond saying that they do not use crystals of any kind. Instead, they spray/mist the enclosure and provide a source of "wet" food such as fruits, vegetables, greens, etc. as a source of water.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I provide no water source besides the agar, which I only make occationally, and water rich vegetables. I buy large packages of precut snack carrots, and the roaches love them. The carrots seem to mold slower than other such vegetables. I also give them zuchini, squash, and cucumber for moisture.

It works well, I keep 17 different species, 5 in large numbers. Plus, I live in an extremely dry area. If the humidity hits 20% we think its raining. {D

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
u can add in all sorts of different liquid in agar
yougurt, banana even red bull, which is said very good for expending adult beetles lifespan according to the beetle ppl

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agar is a solid at room temperature and doesn't turn into a liquid until near 50C. Therefore it would be a rather crappy water source. What happened to using paper towel soaked in water? It's simple and free!

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it also breeds bacteria or dries out in a few hours and gets consumed by the crix/roaches
It would dry out after a few hours if you used a 1 cm by 1 cm piece of paper towel. Use a much larger piece. Anything will breed bacteria if you don't change it and let it get bad. I change my paper towel twice a week, and each time it is still damp from the previous change. Never had any problems with it, and there really isn't any simpler method! If there is I'd love to hear it.

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agar is a solid at room temperature and doesn't turn into a liquid until near 50C. Therefore it would be a rather crappy water source. What happened to using paper towel soaked in water? It's simple and free!
Agar is a solid crystal at room temp, until it is heated with a liquid, and then it turns into a gel at room temp.

Frogsarethapoop

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well yeah, I work with bacteria cultures and bacteriophage on a regular basis. I fail to see how any aspect of agar is a good water source. Are you telling me that the solid crystals are a good water source? If someone could enlighten me that would be great because I have access to all the free agar and petri dishes and any laboratory equipment for free. In my years I have never found a better water source than water. Always willing to learn new things and upgrade.

Last edited:

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The agar isn't so much a water source as an all-in-one source (food&moisture&vitamins,etc)