Homemade Spider Nursery

Chowder

Arachnopeon
I keep my spiders in the basement behind my office workspace. Working from home I pretty much live in my basement. The problem I (and my spiders) have is its so cold in my basement because of the poured concrete walls. With no heat its in the low 60's. So a couple years ago I used foam to enclose a 10 gallon aquarium. Added a heat pad to the top, and a magnetic closing foam door and it worked really well. I was able to put all of the sling enclosures inside the heated 10 gallon foam covered hot-box). The problem was a 10 gallon wouldn't handle the larger enclosures as my girls got bigger.

I decided to build my own spider nursery (a sort of hot-box for my spider enclosures) using foam and the rack shelving I have behind my desk. I cut the foam to fit inside the shelving, cut foam inserts for the glass to mount the 3 heaters, added LED remote lights, and a magnetic door with plexiglass windows. I'm real happy with the way it turned out and the spiders stay nice and toasty warm year round.

Attachments

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I love it 😀 I often wish I was handy like that , I get good ideas but definitely don't have the skills to pull them off 😆
Will you paint it or leave it as foam?

Chowder

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. It was a lot of fun to make and the spiders seem to love the warm environment. I'm actually going to start working on another shelve to build another one.

Yes, there is a thermostat (pic attached). I used an electrical splitter (see pic below) to plug all three heaters into it. Then I plugged that into the temperature control thingy. Ran the thermostat wire into the side of the foam and used some of that expandable foam sealer stuff to close the hole.

Attachments

Chowder

Arachnopeon
Also, no plans to paint it. I actually used white duck tape (in some places) to blend with the white foam. I like the 'clean' look of white.

KillBoxSpider

Arachnopeon
I keep my spiders in the basement behind my office workspace. Working from home I pretty much live in my basement. The problem I (and my spiders) have is its so cold in my basement because of the poured concrete walls. With no heat its in the low 60's. So a couple years ago I used foam to enclose a 10 gallon aquarium. Added a heat pad to the top, and a magnetic closing foam door and it worked really well. I was able to put all of the sling enclosures inside the heated 10 gallon foam covered hot-box). The problem was a 10 gallon wouldn't handle the larger enclosures as my girls got bigger.

I decided to build my own spider nursery (a sort of hot-box for my spider enclosures) using foam and the rack shelving I have behind my desk. I cut the foam to fit inside the shelving, cut foam inserts for the glass to mount the 3 heaters, added LED remote lights, and a magnetic door with plexiglass windows. I'm real happy with the way it turned out and the spiders stay nice and toasty warm year round.
been building these sense i was a little kid where i live to cold nothing i have isnt in a vault like that i run 3 of them for like over 60 pets genesis chamber flexiwatt heat tape on thermo and fans 24 7 full auto this is one of my chambers jurassic parking it what u built looks good thumbs up where i live if u dont keep like this one bad night will put all ur pets to sleep

Attachments

Last edited:

ohpaige11

Arachnopeon
Love what you have done here!
Question: I’ve been playing around with real moss with my jumping spider enclosures but have found they are getting mold now! Any tips? Also! I’ve used a hot glue gun for glueing and aired my enclosures out for 48 hours before but I still feel like it smells toxic inside them! Help!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thank you guys. It was a lot of fun to make and the spiders seem to love the warm environment. I'm actually going to start working on another shelve to build another one.

Yes, there is a thermostat (pic attached). I used an electrical splitter (see pic below) to plug all three heaters into it. Then I plugged that into the temperature control thingy. Ran the thermostat wire into the side of the foam and used some of that expandable foam sealer stuff to close the hole.
Must be a Columbus thing. I've got some hot boxes myself.