holy smokes im so scared right now!!!!

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
i just looked and some how my emp scorp got out i need tips on finding it i have 2 dog and im scared as hell please reply fastt! im sorry but this time im not worryed about spellin

Last edited by a moderator:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1) buy black light and extension cord
2) plug in said items
3) turn off lights in room
4)????
5) profit???

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As corny as bobusboy's reply is the idea behind it would actually work really well.

Otherwise try your best to close off the area and start looking under everything and behind everything. Remember emperors have trouble climbing most anything so it is likely hidden underneath something. They can fit underneath tight fits just like a cockroach so don't think something is too narrow and pass it by.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Atheris666

Arachnopeon
How did you manage to do that?..their like the slowest animals on the planet next to turtles. Not to mention they cant climb glass or acrylic, what were you housing it in?. Only way your gonna find that thing is with a black light. Dont even bother looking without one odds are against you.

Chris

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont even bother looking without one odds are against you.
Chris
I disagree. Many folks find their scorps without blacklights, and if I quit every time the odds were against me I'd be 6 ft under. Keep looking. :)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just black light the room and look under EVERYTHING, look in cloths, leave nothing unturned. They're not dangerous, so I would not really freak out, just try to find the little bug and get it home safe and comfy.

Rayven

Arachnopeon
Check the bathroom. It may head towards water if it is dehydrated.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I disagree. Many folks find their scorps without blacklights, and if I quit every time the odds were against me I'd be 6 ft under. Keep looking. :)
yup, found mine without one :D
It took me a lot of persistence and even checking the same areas 3 times within the week, but I finally found him.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did you manage to do that?..their like the slowest animals on the planet next to turtles. Not to mention they cant climb glass or acrylic, what were you housing it in?. Only way your gonna find that thing is with a black light. Dont even bother looking without one odds are against you.

Chris
@ Chris - They're damn quick if you ask me. Maybe you've never seen one bolt? It's academic though. It doesn't have to be quick to escape an unsecured enclosure if there's no one around watching it. I've found two escaped Emps without a blacklight. One was about 2 feet from where the enclosure was hiding behind a box. The second turned up after about a week. My Mom found it on her quilt while she was taking a nap on the couch {D Sorry Mom :p

@ OP - Blacklights are very helpful but not necessary. Be thorough and check everywhere around the enclosure. It probably didn't go far.

As far as your dogs I wouldn't worry. An Emp may give a dog a nasty pinch but the sting should not cause anything more than some mild discomfort and IME a dog is not likely to be too upset by a sting.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look around anything that puts off heat especially electronics. Was it full grown? I've had one get loose before and I found him within an hour huddled up to my stereo receiver and it wasn't that cold in the room he got loose in.

Under the substrate would be the first place to look if you didn't. When I got my first one I thought he got out one day and that's where he was. No noticeable burrow or anything he was just under about 6 inches of coconut fiber.

Seal off underneath the door of the room he got loose in and start your search in that room, if you don't find him anywhere he may have already gotten to another room. They seem to run and hide somewhere close and cozy most of the time, with any luck he is in that room somewhere.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly they're emperor scorpions and your dogs would consider them a tasty snack.

Outside of that.. I have lost one thing and it found it's way outside with a quickness...
I'd imagine checking every damp, warm, and cozy spot you can think of..

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i found mine with a regular old flashlight.it was hanging on the side of my matress right behind my girlfriends pillow :D she wasnt too happy.

Atheris666

Arachnopeon
@ Chris - They're damn quick if you ask me. Maybe you've never seen one bolt? It's academic though. It doesn't have to be quick to escape an unsecured enclosure if there's no one around watching it. I've found two escaped Emps without a blacklight. One was about 2 feet from where the enclosure was hiding behind a box. The second turned up after about a week. My Mom found it on her quilt while she was taking a nap on the couch {D Sorry Mom :p
I wasnt referring to the speed at which it was able to escape its enclosure. What I meant was that its to slow to cover alot of ground in a short time. I've been keeping scorps for over 8 years now. I've willingly left my emps sitting on my couch...walked away for 10 minutes and came back only to find its moved about 6 inches. In regards to the black light, if you lose scorps in a large space it will be VERY difficult to locate some of the smaller faster sp without a black light. Easier in a smaller room, but still difficult if alot of time has passed after the escape. In the years I've kept scoprs I've had about a dozen or so escape which I never found. All of them were very small and speedy sp. Never lost an emp though, even when I tried....

Chris

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
. In the years I've kept scoprs I've had about a dozen or so escape which I never found. All of them were very small and speedy sp. Never lost an emp though, even when I tried....

Chris
Just curious how you've had escapes? I've been at it for four years and have owned between 3-14 scorpions at one point or another. That being said I've never had an escape and hope never to. In your experience what causes the escapee and what would you suggest to do to an enclosure to prevent it.

I also keep 9 species of roaches and have been lucky enough to yet to have an escape...although it's inevitable with them lol. Darn lobster roaches. :p

Atheris666

Arachnopeon
Just curious how you've had escapes? I've been at it for four years and have owned between 3-14 scorpions at one point or another. That being said I've never had an escape and hope never to. In your experience what causes the escapee and what would you suggest to do to an enclosure to prevent it.

I also keep 9 species of roaches and have been lucky enough to yet to have an escape...although it's inevitable with them lol. Darn lobster roaches. :p
You know thats a good question, I dont know ether. At one point I had over 300+ scorps in my collection. I walked in one day and found 1 of my Andros had gone missing. I kept it in a small platic container with a snap on lid. To this day I still have no idea how it got out. My only conclusion is that "I" let it out without realizing it. Probably when I took the cork bark out of the container and placed it on the table the scorp might have been under it. I usually keep some slate rock in with my andros. I guess I assumed it was hiding under the slate but didnt think to check the cork bark I was holding in my hand (which also could have resulted in a nasty sting). Other than that senario...I cant imagine any other way that particular scorp could have escaped. Others I've lost were do to an oversite in cage design. I had a few Tityus asthenes escape when they used the cork bark in the tank as a ladder to the top of the tank lid where they escaped through a few air vents :wall:
It was a very obvious escape and one I should have caught sooner. But hey...stuff happens.

Chris

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know thats a good question, I dont know ether. At one point I had over 300+ scorps in my collection. I walked in one day and found 1 of my Andros had gone missing. I kept it in a small platic container with a snap on lid. To this day I still have no idea how it got out. My only conclusion is that "I" let it out without realizing it. Probably when I took the cork bark out of the container and placed it on the table the scorp might have been under it. I usually keep some slate rock in with my andros. I guess I assumed it was hiding under the slate but didnt think to check the cork bark I was holding in my hand (which also could have resulted in a nasty sting). Other than that senario...I cant imagine any other way that particular scorp could have escaped. Others I've lost were do to an oversite in cage design. I had a few Tityus asthenes escape when they used the cork bark in the tank as a ladder to the top of the tank lid where they escaped through a few air vents :wall:
It was a very obvious escape and one I should have caught sooner. But hey...stuff happens.

Chris
Chris, you really need to be more careFULL instead of careless. When working with Adroctonus and Tityus, there is no room for : "I thought that...., I didn't realize, etc etc....." What are you gonna say to neighbours for instance when one of their kids would be hospitalized because one of your escapees? Stuff happens? I don't think that you would say that then.....so just be more carefull, accidents happen, but knowing where your animal is when working with them is most important!

Cheers, Michiel

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
Chris, you really need to be more careFULL instead of careless. When working with Adroctonus and Tityus, there is no room for : "I thought that...., I didn't realize, etc etc....." What are you gonna say to neighbours for instance when one of their kids would be hospitalized because one of your escapees? Stuff happens? I don't think that you would say that then.....so just be more carefull, accidents happen, but knowing where your animal is when working with them is most important!

Cheers, Michiel
A 00.33% loss rate is understandable.