HOLY CORK BARK BATMAN!! Now what do I do with it?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
OK, I have always got any of my cork bark locally, expensively, at local pet shops. I had mold problems and pitched it all a while back and have since been eyeing the cork bark at The Cork Store. No matter how cheap or utilitarian - plastic pipe just ain't as nice as cork bark. When I found Van Dyke Supply Company had it even CHEAPER than The Cork Store, I ordered some. Ten pounds of it was $38.91 SHIPPED. I have paid $10 for a lousy little piece in the past. But now I have a problem...
...all those expensive pieces in the stores were nice and clean and, well, small. Take a look at the huge hunkin pieces of bark they sent me - and let me tell you, it feels like a LOT more than 10 pounds! So, I used a clean scrub brush on the small piece under hot water - is that enough to clean it up sufficently? Needless to say, after having Onyx get the crawling butt crud and have to be put down, I am leary of putting something in with my T's that might give them some sort of disease. So, if anyone has any experience with fresh, raw cork bark right off the tree, let me know :D

Gail

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
fish tank exps.

the only exps I have ever had adding "off the tree" limbs and such ( even rocks) has to do with adding to a running aquairium with fresh water fish. I boiled the stuff and it took a long ass time to dry, but never after the boiling had any issues steming from the driftwood or rocks.

hope that helps -

e.
aka loosey

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I put all the substrate and corkbark and so in the oven for about an our! 150 to 200 celsius! I can promis you there is no bugs comming out of there after that treatment :) It is alot of work if you have many T`s, but it`s wordht it. (I used to have problems with mites... ;) )
Hope this is any help to you!

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read somewhere that you should bake it in an oven for 45 minutes at 200 fahrenheit. I did that with mine, but I haven't put it in the T's keeper yet. Did ONYX have cork bark it its cage?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tranz
I read somewhere that you should bake it in an oven for 45 minutes at 200 fahrenheit. I did that with mine, but I haven't put it in the T's keeper yet. Did ONYX have cork bark it its cage?
No, Onyx didn't have any cork bark, she had a piece of plastic pipe cut in half. I haven't had any cork bark some time now, I was trying to get used to the plastic pipe but it's just so damn ugly LOL

Gail

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
I had mold problems and pitched it all a while back...Gail
you tossed all the moldy cork bark? Heck, I would have paid for the shipping to have it! my amblypigids had so much mold and other assorted oddball stuff growing on their cork bark. it did not seem to bother them a bit (sure did look freaky though). I let their enclosures dry out a bit and the molds, etc. vanished.
Ed

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Re: Re: HOLY CORK BARK BATMAN!! Now what do I do with it?

Originally posted by atavuss
you tossed all the moldy cork bark? Heck, I would have paid for the shipping to have it! my amblypigids had so much mold and other assorted oddball stuff growing on their cork bark. it did not seem to bother them a bit (sure did look freaky though). I let their enclosures dry out a bit and the molds, etc. vanished.
Ed
LOL - I guess I tend to be a little reactionary - the stuff was freaking me out. I have since learned from everyone here that the bits of mold and wierd fungus really aren't harmful to the t's and you can just dry the bark out and scrub them off. Considering how much bark I threw out before learning that, you can be sure I won't be throwing this bark out LOL.

Gail

Lantang

Arachnopeon
you got a really good deal on the stuff!!!!Does Van Dyke have a website?

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have gotten bark for 2.99 before. Yeesh your pet store is expensive.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow gail that's a heck of a price! On top of it they only charge like $6 to ship it. I have to get some for my in progress 80 gallon communal C. exilicauda tank for my living room. :)

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you could always try painting the pvc with little vines and such...