Hole

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Had the yard cut back yesterday. All undergrowth down to the dirt. Found three holes where somebody has been kicking dirt, all within 2-3 meters of where Mom had her babies. No webbing visible yet. Fingers crossed.

The Snark

Old Timer
Went out and raked the yard*. Make that 7 likely holes, all within 3 meters of mom's. Here's hoping for some serious dirt kicking.

* No snide comments about me being domesticated, please.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This thread is so cool. I love love love seeing this kind of documentation. Beats seeing pictures of tarantulas in captivity any day.

The Snark

Old Timer
The forehead flattening crowd vs the statistician. The response to the thought of 10 or 15 of the 'sida yai' big blacks always elicits the 'aren't you worried/concerned/dicing/terrorized?' by nearly everyone. (My stock response to 'aren't they poisonous' is I don't eat them).
So run the stats. How often do I go out in the yard barefoot or poke my fingers down the holes? Never. Odds are now in my favor 1,000,000 to 1 against getting chomped. Barefoot at night? RUserious? 10,000,000 to 1. One of them charging out of the hole, climbing up my bod, finding bare skin and chomping: 100,000,000 to 1. Me accidentally stepping on Cheech some unfortunate evening: ~1 in 200?
"No honeybunchers, my concern is in the other direction."

If the general interest runs that people want to see pictures of holes I'll consider taking a few.

The Snark

Old Timer
Okay... so holes. Inventory time. Looks like about 15 that have been doing up to date housekeeping. The yard might get a little comical in a few months. Put in some little fences to keep the guys from duking it out?

All the holes pictured have had a typical pattern of dirt kicked out but the loose dirt has no evidence of traffic that a rodent, snake or bug would make.

Cheech

Chong

Gravity sucks (The hole goes straight down)

BHOA Beverly Hills Over Achiever

Serena (She had a huge tennis ball colored seed pod in her hole)

?

Made In The Shade (leaves)

The Troglodyte

E-N-E

Komatsu

N-N-E

George (under a) Bush

?

Gomez

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
I'd like to, but at present we don't appear to have any active holes.

The Snark

Old Timer
Hey @The Snark, are you planning to update this thread?
Just this one right now. Searching for more. I'm going to buy a 'chicken coup' bamboo basket to put over the hole and surrounding area today to protect it from the birds. Damned Snipes have probably nailed most of the survivors.