Hole

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
We've had this neighbor for over a year and have yet to meet him/her.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Try to lure it out! I remember your last "hole" thread, and the curiosity kept me up at night. I'm not asking for a pic of whatever lives in there just find out and let us know, please.

-JohnD.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try to lure it out! I remember your last "hole" thread, and the curiosity kept me up at night. I'm not asking for a pic of whatever lives in there just find out and let us know, please.

-JohnD.
+1 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The Snark

Old Timer
How about this. I can say with absolute certainty it's an arthropod.
Okay, I'll narrow it down. It's a T. I've seen 3 of it's legs.

That pic is really rather interesting. The hole was mostly caved in from getting stomped on when the yard got it's biannual clearing. The next day all that freshly dug soil appeared and things were back to normal. But keep in mind all you fluffy 'make everything absolutely textbook perfect for my T crowd', that 'soil' is pure rock hard clay. Just down the road they make bricks of the stuff.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is this the same hole from last year? Please we need to identify. I just knew I missed the unveiling of the mystery hole in the months I have been without Internet. I need to know. LOL. Please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Snark

Old Timer
A hole by any other name would smell as sweet. The lurk returneth. Same area. Hole started larger than Mark I so maybe the same sweety?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A hole by any other name would smell as sweet. The lurk returneth. Same area. Hole started larger than Mark I so maybe the same sweety?
I was under the impression most t's have some sort of signal wires going to the entrance of their burrow, did you ever try teasing the original inhabitant out? I also wonder what made it choose "there" I mean I know they will usually follow a wall when they find it, but it is as if it just stopped half way along the wall and said "AHA perfect!" and began digging it also seems to angle under the stone work there.

The Snark

Old Timer
She webs the hole over most nights. When she catches dinner she usually cleans up all the web. It should be webbed over again by tomorrow morning.

The Snark

Old Timer
I saw legs and a bit of the body. It's probably this one, a year+ later? There was also a nearby hole that looked like a failed/lost interest attempt that was abandoned a couple of meter away and a third almost finished one between that one and this one pictured. So one industrious pidey digging for gold I guess.
Oh yes. There were two holes at the back of the house, 10 meters away. One just a shallow pit, one that was webbed for a couple of days. I suspect that wandering O. Hannah or Kraits or maybe ratters come cruising at night and stick their nose down the holes looking for eats and the pidey gets so affronted it abandons the hole and makes another.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It makes me curious of course, what the threshold for a spider is between " I can fix this" and "time for a new hole" the one caved in, Fixed, yet others so quickly abandoned, I also wonder if the burrows dry out as you've been having a drought, haven't you? if the spider has been switching holes to find more humidity

The Snark

Old Timer
It makes me curious of course, what the threshold for a spider is between " I can fix this" and "time for a new hole" the one caved in, Fixed, yet others so quickly abandoned, I also wonder if the burrows dry out as you've been having a drought, haven't you? if the spider has been switching holes to find more humidity
Been wondering the same thing myself. I don't think it's humidity if the one that dug the holes at the back of the house is the same one. It's much damper back there. Also, this isn't dirt, it's clay. MAJOR undertaking. When dried out a full swing of a heavy hoe will penetrate this pseudo pavement maybe 2 or even 3 inches. If it was me I'd fix what I already have rather than start a new Herculean excavation job. Weird.

But on reflection, this newest hole is right next to the porch where I water our plants regularly. This spider is smarter than me, right?

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Got two new holes. Pint sized and industrial duty. Am a bit worried as the large hole has a massive crowd of red ants hanging around a few inches away.

The Snark

Old Timer
A sad day. The resident of hole #3 above hadn't move in several days. I checked her this AM and discovered she had died.
I suspect she was the original resident I posted about which would make her around 5 years old.
Since the ants have done their thing and her remains is just an exoskeleton now I am considering glueing her to the dash board of my truck near the speedometer. Nothing quite like the shadowy shape of a Minax that might land in your lap any moment for a theft deterrent. Just a little added incentive for would be carnappers to go somewhere else, as well as a reminder of fond memories.

The residents of the other two holes are doing fine, keeping the entrances nicely webbed.

Last edited: