Hole in tarantula's sternum.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Looks like an injury at first glance, but it can be anything and will hopefully go away with the next moult. I wouldn't rule out parasites either, a better photo would be an advantage for more details.
Has the animal ever been lifted with tweezers?

Tomski

Arachnopeon
I know the picture is not the best. This is all I could upload at the moment unfortunetly. Changed it for slightly better tho.
She actually molted a few days ago. I'm sure she didn't have that before a molt. No picking up with tweezers also.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not a hole- reminds me of a cyst that we see on abdomen. All you can do is monitor.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Also looks a bit like a rubbing mark. Has your tarantula been walking around a lot recently? I believe my G. iheringi had a somewhat similar spot at the same place, and it had been wondering around quite a bit. It went away nicely after the last moult.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Do you know what's that? First time seeing such thing.
The only times I have seen such a thing is when dissecting alcohol preserved tarantulas. After cutting through the hardened exoskeleton of the legs, carapace, and sternum, you can see what looks to be some kind of connective tissue which is a pale cream color. Behind the connective tissue lie the internal organs.

Based on the photo, I can guess that the hole was formed during the process of molting. Two possibilities come to mind. Only the outer hardened layer of the exoskeleton (the exocuticle) was removed and you are seeing the inner layers. The color and texture in the photo looks to be the same as the unhardened cuticle connecting the coxae to the sternum. Or all layers of the exoskeleton came off during the molt and you are seeing the connective tissue mentioned above. Either way, there isn't much you can do about it except wait for the next molt and see if it gets repaired.

I would also recommend checking the same area in the shed molt if you have it to find out if anything is stuck to it.