• The Review forums are closed to new reviews.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews.

Information on how to use our new Reviews section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Hogtown Reptile Shop Gainesville Fl

dirty munky

Arachnopeon
A new reptile shop has opened in Gainesville FL and gets an A in my opinion.

They have a nice selection of T's and other inverts.They will sex your spider for you if you bring in a molt and will help you answer any questions you may have. Their prices are reasonable and they also have a great selection of other reptiles, I would guess at least 200. The shop is clean and is run by three partners who definately love what they do. The best thing is if its not in stock they will find it for you. I definately suggest stopping in if you are in Gainesville Fl. They are located at 2104 SW 34th St Gainesville FL and are open 7 days a week from 11am to 7pm

lancej

Arachnolord
A+ Pet Store

I can second this. I have known Doug for over 20 years and can tell you he runs a first class operation! Anyone in the Gainesville, Florida area, or travelling through should stop by. It's worth it!

GO GATORS!!!

Lance

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I have only been in this shop twice, and I agree, it's a wonderful shop with a huge reptile selection.

I bought my first spider from them, a Chaco Golden Knee, for $60, and have been very happy with it. Supply prices are average to good. I haven't had luck getting waxworms with them, though.

This is my "go to" place for reptiles, but whenever I go in, few people seem to know what's going on with the spiders, what they have in stock, etc. While they are eager to help, service is lacking where looking at the spiders is concerned. I wish that wasn't the case, because I'd love to know what they have there.

Even so, don't let that dissuade you - it really is a very nice, clean store with the best in exotic animals I've seen in this town (and a lot of others, come to think of it). Recommended.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great Store

I do business at Hogtown regularly (usually crickets) and I've found the store to be clean and the animals well cared for. They usually have a good selection of tarantulas and other invertebrates which changes on a fairly regular basis. The staff is friendly and willing to answer questions even if they know you aren't planning to buy that day. Doug is always trying to talk me into a new spider (it works way too often), but Chris is the real invertebrate expert in the store. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the Gainesville area.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
I'd like to place an update on my review. Since my first review 2 years ago, the selection of spiders (already impressive) has only improved and a few more people are on board that know something about them. I've even had staff offer to call the invert guys to ask questions on this or that I needed an answer to - VERY happy to see that!

Best price in town for kritter keeper shoebox enclosures as well.

I'd also like to note that every reptile specialty pet store smells, no matter how clean they keep it. However, the smell is under control in this shop and the temperature never makes me sweat.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hogtown Reptile Shop- Gainesville, FL is Excellent!

Not only would I recommend this shop along with previous posters, but I would especially recommend the shop for anyone with kids. They have special kid-friendly events & programs, will patiently explain & educate, encourage young hobbyists, etc. All while not dumbing down their ethic or adult customer base. Very impressed! They recommend slings my daughter (now 13) might enjoy raising & alert her to new arrivals/colors/variations. They have even let her into the back rodent room to personally select mice or rats on specific occasions (class projects, etc). All of the good reasons one should support a local shop!