Hogna schmitzi

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
Hey, new poster (and long time lurker) here. I've been eyeing Hogna schmitzi for a long time and I just saw that Spidersworld.EU carries a few slings for a very reasonable price. I cannot find any info om them, besides that they are from Madeira? Anyone got anything?

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Now THAT, my friend, is what you call a wolf spider!
I have no clue but based off of previous experiences with other species and their matural environment I would say typical T setup with dry or maybe try slightly damp substrate. Water dish as usual and a hide or deep substrate, perhaps 5” or so depending on specimen size. Enclosure sould follow typical tarantula standards although you might be able to get away with more height since I don’t believe lycosidae can climb smooth surfaces. Tey feesing every 3 or so days for slings and twice or once a week for adults and see how it works. In my opinion based off my limited knowledge I think typical tarantula care should suffice.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
Indeed, and beautiful as well - the orange on the first two pairs of legs!
I was thinking of trying deep substrate and keep half of it slightly moist - that way I get to know what it prefers and it has the ability to burrow.
The ones I can buy are teeny tiny slings though, .5 cm in body length.. As far as I'm aware, lycosidae slings can climb both smooth plastic and glasso_O
But it all depends on if anyone I know can get them into Denmark, as they will be bought in Poland and they cannot be shipped here (its not illegal, just our main mailcarriers being garbage)..
I hope its possible, they are amazing looking and I would love having a few!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't know much about the weather in Madeira, but I'd try to mimic that as much as possible. If you contact the seller they may have some details as well. That's a gorgeous species though, hope you have lots of success keeping them!

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Mark Stockmann (buthidae.eu) had some as well, but they're sold now. The text said to keep them very dry, that's everything I know hahah.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very dry is what I suspected, I'd say that's a good starting point then.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! Does anyone have anything about whether they burrow or hunt actively?
Still looking for someone who can get them into Denmark and I'm honestly not that hopeful..
The danish postal service will destroy all animal shipments that doesnt have full name and a documented visit to a vet for ID'ing the animal and checking it for descease and such. this practicly makes it impossible to ship spiders with them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Based on look I'd say they actively hunt, though I wouldn't be surprised if they built a burrow as a retreat. The front pair of eyes aren't small enough to make me think it's a burrowing species (compare to Geolycosa), though they aren't as large as the Hogna here in the US.

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
Based on look I'd say they actively hunt, though I wouldn't be surprised if they built a burrow as a retreat.
I was thinking of giving them a setup that allows both. But the onces I can buy are around .5cm in body length, so they'll go in a pill vial and I'd expect them to burrow anyway, considering their size (like most T slings)?

Anyway, I would offer substrate that allows for burrowing (a mix of clay, fine sand and soil of some kind, as to replicate their natural enviroment) but with enough floor space for them to actively hunt and for me to make some variation to the terrain.

Any word on their adult size?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was thinking of giving them a setup that allows both. But the onces I can buy are around .5cm in body length, so they'll go in a pill vial and I'd expect them to burrow anyway, considering their size (like most T slings)?

Anyway, I would offer substrate that allows for burrowing (a mix of clay, fine sand and soil of some kind, as to replicate their natural enviroment) but with enough floor space for them to actively hunt and for me to make some variation to the terrain.

Any word on their adult size?
I think a setup like that would be fine.

In terms of adult size, I found a paper saying 20-30mm, but I'm not sure if that's body length or legspan. Hogna tend to be larger though so I'd assume body length, plus that's typically how they're measured in most scientific papers.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Did your spider burrow ? I am curious as how much its behaviour resembles its neighbour Hogna Ingens (Desertas Wolf Spider), which is huge. Likes mixed substrate sand/soil with stones as anchors for making their burrow
https://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/save-wildlife/conservation-and-research/desertas-wolf-spider-project
My setup is coco mixed with peat and sand in a small deli cup with a piece of broken off mudstone fragment in the middle. They both built a surface level tube along the side of the cup right before their first molt under my care, and seal both ends when they are in premolt. As they grow the tube extended deeper and eventually also used the mud stone fragment as anchoring too when it got wider. They are getting too big for the cup now, so eventually I’ll transfer them to a new tank and see if they act the same way.

Wolfclan77

Arachnopeon
Hey, new poster (and long time lurker) here. I've been eyeing Hogna schmitzi for a long time and I just saw that Spidersworld.EU carries a few slings for a very reasonable price. I cannot find any info om them, besides that they are from Madeira? Anyone got anything?
I have one hogna shimcht I got it very small it ate alot and then made a cacoon the root of a plant in its enclosure it's been a few weeks and it's still in its cacoon. I don't know how long it will stay in there for I check up on it once in awhile.

Wolfclan77

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of trying deep substrate and keep half of it slightly moist - that way I get to know what it prefers and it has the ability to burrow.
The ones I can buy are teeny tiny slings though, .5 cm in body length.. As far as I'm aware, lycosidae slings can climb both smooth plastic and glasso_O
But it all depends on if anyone I know can get them into Denmark, as they will be bought in Poland and they cannot be shipped here (its not illegal, just our main mailcarriers being garbage)..
This hogna shimcht wolf spider it grows very quickly

Attachments

Wolfclan77

Arachnopeon
I have one and it's on it third molt it will be much bigger when it comes out of it's cacoon