Hogna miami

david

Arachnopeon
pics

Great pictures guys,although my orbs dont seem to like meal worms,white or other wise,did you know that since most meal worms are fed on bran,and thisis a protein in hibitor,it must have some effect on anything reared on it.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: pics

Originally posted by david
Great pictures guys,although my orbs dont seem to like meal worms,white or other wise,did you know that since most meal worms are fed on bran,and thisis a protein in hibitor,it must have some effect on anything reared on it.
Wow!
That's interesting, David! Usually after I receive my mealworms (I don't breed them myself currently, though I may in a short while) I either add some other substrate into their bran or put them into something else entirely. The only thing I've fed orb weavers really is winged and unwinged insects, never tried to feed them mealworms, yet...
Anyone else notice that their orbweavers don't care for mealworms? I have some T. blondi slings which most of them aren't crazy about mealworms, either.
Thanks for the interesting post!

Paul

david

Arachnopeon
meal worms

like to be of help if i can,well a varied diat is the order of the day as we know,my orbs take moth lava with relish:) .

there some thing eles that might be of interest,i also read that vermiculite has asspestoss in it,so not recommended iether.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I rear my mealworms on chick mash, which has some protien...maybe that makes a difference. Baby cereal may be a good option as well.

The asbestos in vermiculite was found to be in such tiny trace amounts as to be incosequental. No one has shown any problems using it, although you might want to avoid deliberately inhaling lots of it. Hmmm...pretty good advice anyway, probably ;)

Wade