Hogna huelo Care?

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
Hello all! I'm interested in buying a Hogna huelo, but I've never owned a wolf spider before. So I'm wondering about a few things, mainly terrarium size and how much substrate they need. Do they also require misting? Thanks!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I put mine in a medium or large Exo-Terra Faunarium with about 2" of coconut fiber substrate, a water bottle cap as a water dish, peat cup as a hide, along with some fake plants to make it all look nice. Pretty easy species to keep!

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
I put mine in a medium or large Exo-Terra Faunarium with about 2" of coconut fiber substrate, a water bottle cap as a water dish, peat cup as a hide, along with some fake plants to make it all look nice. Pretty easy species to keep!
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! Are they an active species, and can they climb plastic/glass?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
They are active and have a pretty cool stance when they're just standing around. Pretty good eaters too! It's fun to see them grab their prey. And no, they cannot climb plastic or glass.

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
Then by the power of my wallet a Hogna huelo will be bought! Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
Hogna miami as well, the online shop im looking at is The Spider Shop.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it? I'm curious as to why it's sold under the old name then
The seller might not know that the species has been moved to a different genus (it was not that long ago), or the seller might have chosen to sell under a more familiar name. (I still see tarantula ads that don't reflect taxonomic changes.)

See the World Spider Catalog.

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I've already fell in love with this species, so I may snag the other wolf spider species for sale on TTS, Hogna miami.

MechaKat

Arachnopeon
Just an update, today I looked inside her enclosure and saw that she has an egg sac! Now I'm planning on keeping some once they hatch, any idea what sling care is like? :happy:

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Just an update, today I looked inside her enclosure and saw that she has an egg sac! Now I'm planning on keeping some once they hatch, any idea what sling care is like? :happy:
I've raised slings before. They stay on the mother and eat what she eats for a while, so make sure she eats during that time. After they get off the mother, they will spread throughout the tank. Fruit flies are a good food source at that point. Make sure, and I cannot stress this enough, that the container the mother and slings are in is well sealed. The little buggers will go everywhere if you let them. If you're worried about escapees, then put small mesh over any openings. Unlike the mother, the babies CAN somewhat climb glass.

They're a little better at not cannibalizing than tarantulas, but when you decide to separate, I suggest using small condiment cups with holes poked in the top. There will be a lot of babies, but you will suffer some losses. The babies are somewhat less hardy than tarantula slings, so some will likely not make it through bad molts.
Make sure they have some sort of access to water because they dessicate easily. My slings liked drinking water droplets off the walls more than from any sort of dish. Try not to make their enclosure too humid, though.