Hogna georgicola egg sac hatch

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught this Hogna georgicola Monday night. Today I noticed the egg sac was hatching and the babies were climbing aboard mom for a ride.

Mom on Monday

Mom today with babies

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice. The second sac mine laid hatched maybe ten days ago and they have started dispersing now. The numbers are lower than the first sac was, but still lots of them. The spiders from the first sac are all around 5th instar now, and getting pretty big!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats! Great pics as well. How big is this species?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What's the size at 5th instar and how long to get there? Also, are they considered 2nd instar when they pop out like mine?

Very nice. The second sac mine laid hatched maybe ten days ago and they have started dispersing now. The numbers are lower than the first sac was, but still lots of them. The spiders from the first sac are all around 5th instar now, and getting pretty big!

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a picture of how big mine are.

The egg sac was laid on approximately Feb 1st, Hatched around March 6th. Im not sure if I use the correct numbering system, but by 5th instar I meant they had molted 4 times (I began at 1st, not 2nd)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My H. georgicola has a sac too. Should I attempt to feed her while she carries it around? Never had the opportunity to deal with a sac before :p

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd be interested in a ventral shot of one of your little guys. I've found what looked like small H. georgicola in the woods based on a dorsal view, but the ventral view did not have the distintive mottled rust-colored abdomen. I figured it was as likely a smaller species of wolf spider as it was a juvenile georgicola.

Here is a picture of how big mine are.

The egg sac was laid on approximately Feb 1st, Hatched around March 6th. Im not sure if I use the correct numbering system, but by 5th instar I meant they had molted 4 times (I began at 1st, not 2nd)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Noticed the spiderlings are dispersing and molting. They're also killing and eating each other. I saw one get into an altercation then escape only to be ambushed and killed by another a few seconds later.

Time to separate them.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Once they start dispersing its every many for himself. I've watched one kill its sibling, then get killed with its brother still in its mouth! If your looking to keep them, you can put 4-6 in a deli cup and toss in dead cricket parts. If they are well fed cannibalization is at a minimum, at least for a molt or two.

Ill try to get a ventral shot of one of mine tomorrow. The largest ones are already molting again.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's one of the 5 I kept. It's about 1/4" now. Doing well on one roach nymph and wetting of the substrate once a week.