Hogna carolinensis

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got this little beauty from Sky last week. She was caught at Arachnocon and I think a few of you got to see her in person.

I absolutely love this spider!

This is my first large hunting spider and I'm amazed at her size and coloration. Just look at the chelicerae. And those eyes!

Here she is next to a tape measure. She's not right up against the glass, so she's about 3.5", 3.75".

And a couple more shots right after I unpacked her

Johnnyster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man,,,, that is one awsome spider

I gotta have one. Im trying to convince a co-worker from N. Carolina to catch a few and send them out in exchange for some Mexican hot sauces which are not available there,,,,LOL

...... I know there are a few out there for sale.

Good catch , you luckster, and good pics too.

Pendergrass

Arachnopeon
I live NC

ive been fishing and seen these spiders drag fish on top of rocks and feast before. there truly amazing spiders

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe the Hogna carolinensis and other similar "monster" wolf spiders are all out west.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/27062/data

I gotta have one. Im trying to convince a co-worker from N. Carolina to catch a few and send them out in exchange for some Mexican hot sauces which are not available there,,,,LOL

...... I know there are a few out there for sale.

Good catch , you luckster, and good pics too.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great spider. My son has a female WC from West Texas that we call "Beastie".

I got this little beauty from Sky last week. She was caught at Arachnocon and I think a few of you got to see her in person.

I absolutely love this spider!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: carolina wolfs rock! ive got a female from fla,awesome spider,good luck w/yours.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stick your finger in there...it will say "Hello!" in an interesting way! :liar:

They can be flat out NASTY!

Chris

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Yes, I was among those that found these species out there. One I saw had an eggsack. Very impressive.

Remember, she is most likely mated and near ready to lay a sack, so keep her well fed, and provide plenty of hiding areas. And let me know when the spiderlings are ready.:)

I believe the Hogna carolinensis and other similar "monster" wolf spiders are all out west.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/27062/data
No, they are reported as far north/east as North Carolina, but very rarely.

-Sean

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, I was among those that found these species out there. One I saw had an eggsack. Very impressive.

Remember, she is most likely mated and near ready to lay a sack, so keep her well fed, and provide plenty of hiding areas. And let me know when the spiderlings are ready.:)

No, they are reported as far north/east as North Carolina, but very rarely.

-Sean
I don't think it'll be too long. She's sealed herself up.