Hogna carolinensis

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Found this little guy wandering in my door as I let my dog outside. Pretty sure it’s Hogna carolinensis. Im in FL so I’m assuming I should keep it slightly moist? I made it a premade burrow which he likes, gave it a water dish, cork, and some leaves and such. Anything I should know about keeping these? Never kept any wolf spider species. He (or she) has eaten twice, I’ve had it for around 4 days but he was looking skinny at first. About 1” DLS. FB918695-C0A8-418F-8D6E-C0F67CD36407.jpeg

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Looks like Tigrosa sp. probably annexa.
It looks like that one too. It’s difficult for me to tell for sure. Should I just keep it similar to how it is outside here? I heard some species like it dry but if it lives here there’s no way that’s the case with this one.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks like that one too. It’s difficult for me to tell for sure. Should I just keep it similar to how it is outside here? I heard some species like it dry but if it lives here there’s no way that’s the case with this one.
Yeah, try to mimic the environment you found it in. Was it open grass or was it in a swampy area? More than likely it was found in a dryer area than a swamp but it probably still rains quite a bit there. Just keep it dry but give it a mist every couple of days

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, try to mimic the environment you found it in. Was it open grass or was it in a swampy area? More than likely it was found in a dryer area than a swamp but it probably still rains quite a bit there. Just keep it dry but give it a mist every couple of days
I have no idea where it lived outside it just wondered in my door. It’s not swampy here but very humid and rains about every other day. I’m trying to give it a moisture gradient like I do some of my tarantulas with a premade burrow so it can decide.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no idea where it lived outside it just wondered in my door. It’s not swampy here but very humid and rains about every other day. I’m trying to give it a moisture gradient like I do some of my tarantulas with a premade burrow so it can decide.
It probably lives in an environment like your yard, that’s where I find this species most commonly here. That sounds like a good idea and should be fine. Just make sure it never gets too wet and soggy. It’s ok to let it dry a bit in between waterings