Hogna and other large Lycosids in EU?

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Hey all, I’ve been looking at some of the large lycosids I’ve seen for sale in the states and found myself wondering if anyone knows of somebody who is or has sold these in Europe.

For a continent that quite a few of these large lycosids originate there’s a bizarre lack of them in culture.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interest in Lycosidae sp. seems quite limited in the European pet hobby. This isn't an issue with supply but with demand.

More than 10 years back there were massive imports from Paraguay, including L. erythrognatha, but few people would buy any so the imports stopped.

There was a rise of interest about 10 years ago and many species were available through captive breeding, even L. singoriensis. This continued for some years then people stopped breeding and the species vanished.

In the moment the market isn't even that bad imho. You can buy H. schmitzi, L. poliostoma (spelling?) and some others. Those should all be available through captive breeding.

If you want U.S. species i'd advise to talk to Lee from TSS (given your location). He had some wc wolf spiders for sale in the recent past and may have access to more.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey all, I’ve been looking at some of the large lycosids I’ve seen for sale in the states and found myself wondering if anyone knows of somebody who is or has sold these in Europe.

For a continent that quite a few of these large lycosids originate there’s a bizarre lack of them in culture.

I have seen these for sale over there I believe. Dolomedes okefinokensis. Its not a wolf spider but can top 6+ inches in rare cases and are heavy built.

Attachments

Last edited: