Hobby species

iwlim

Arachnopeon
I have heard of Hobby tarantulas but have no idea what they are, i.e. B albopilosum, B vagans. There is also a person giving away a hobby MM b albopilosum and specified not to breed it with a non hobby. Are they different species? And what are the differences?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Hobby T's = mutts, offspring by result of crossbreeding from the same genus but different sp. ... ex. breeding Brachypelma vagans x B. albo or Brachypelma boehmei x B. baumgarteni

Last edited:

iwlim

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks, but how do you tell them apart to keep the line pure?

iwlim

Arachnopeon
And if cross breeding is looked down upon so harshly then why are people okay with buying hobby tarantulas?

Timc

Arachnosquire
Or they have been inbred somehow or other due to limited blood lines in the hobby, changing and dulling their appearance over a few generations.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ok thanks, but how do you tell them apart to keep the line pure?
Price, for one. True species tend to be a bit more expensive than the hobby form. As for telling them apart, it's usually the coloration. With B. albopilosum, the hobby form has a tan body with blonde setae and the Nicaraguan has a black body with blonde setae. With B. vagans, the hobby form has a cream colored carapace and the true form is pitch black.

And if cross breeding is looked down upon so harshly then why are people okay with buying hobby tarantulas?
Because the true forms are often difficult to get. The Nicaraguan B. albopilosum was next to impossible to find when I first got into the hobby, and now you can pick them up for $50. Times change. It's not that we're okay with it - I'd bet the majority of people would prefer a true species over the hobby form. It's that you often don't have a choice.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have also seen the term "hobby" used in the context of taxonomic revisions.

In this context, "hobby smithi" means "species that hobbyists have been calling Brachypelma smithi but is actually Brachypelma X."

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
Hobby T's = mutts, offspring by result of crossbreeding from the same genus but different sp. ... ex. breeding Brachypelma vagans x B. albo or Brachypelma boehmei x B. baumgarteni
Wow, I am kind of sad hearing this but not all that surprised, I am pretty green when it comes to T's but I know how bad inbreeding can be to a hobby like this from years of breeding Cichlids.

I don't plan on breeding anytime soon or ever really but I will keep this in mind.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Wow, I am kind of sad hearing this but not all that surprised, I am pretty green when it comes to T's but I know how bad inbreeding can be to a hobby like this from years of breeding Cichlids.

I don't plan on breeding anytime soon or ever really but I will keep this in mind.
It's even more common with cichlids because most people keep mixed tanks. It's actually very difficult to avoid because all-male tanks often result in lots of deaths. And not many people are willing to keep species-specific tanks. At least with Ts, each one must be housed individually, and the keeper makes a conscious decision to pair them. No accidental breeding should occur with Ts.