Hmmmm...

StarStuff79

Arachnopeon
Happy Monday Everyone,

I'm very new to the hobby and I've recently suffered a loss of one of my slings. I had a Brachypelma Vagans for about 3 weeks and it just didn't eat. I'm not sure if maybe I wasn't feeding it the right feeder insects or if maybe there were some underlying issues. The care of my slings has been very challenging. I'm hoping that things get a little easier in the coming days but for now, they're very stubborn. Do you guys have any tips on how I should be caring for my slings and if maybe flightless fruit flies would be a better feeder insect for them then pinhead crickets?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I always offered micro crickets (pinhead) to my slings and I've never had a problem... try those pre-killed and see if work :-s

cold blood

Staff member
House in a simple condiment cup....keep part of the sub damp... very simple.

Fruit flies are nutritionally deficient. Pre killed or diced mealworms, wax worms or crickets are your best bet.

Small slings fill up fast, so tgey wont eat many meals between molts.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Pre-killed seems to work best for my little ones. I don't like leaving live prey in with my babies for more than an hour so I'll usually just leave them a leg or I'll crush the heads, so they at least have the option to eat if they're hungry or shy.

StarStuff79

Arachnopeon
I added my G. Pulchripes at the same time I added my B. Vagans and it still hasn't eaten. I'm trying the dead pinhead crickets to see if he'll bite but very weird to see him not eat for this long. It's been almost a month. Thank You for all the helpfult tips. I'll consider the deli cups too. I admit he was a bit too small for the enclosure I purchased him in. The enclosure was a recommended purchase by the vendor.

cold blood

Staff member
My little N chromatas will only eat pre killed pinhead crickets
That won't last long...they're great little eaters....they just start life really small.

I added my G. Pulchripes at the same time I added my B. Vagans and it still hasn't eaten. I'm trying the dead pinhead crickets to see if he'll bite but very weird to see him not eat for this long. It's been almost a month. Thank You for all the helpfult tips. I'll consider the deli cups too. I admit he was a bit too small for the enclosure I purchased him in. The enclosure was a recommended purchase by the vendor.
Larger enclosures basically encourage hiding and burrowing, which will have an adverse effect on growth rates, although it is of no harm to the t.

I have raised a ton of pulchripes and IME, if they refuse food, its almost certainly pre-molt. There were times I fed 150+ and only had one or two refusals...always from ts in pre-molt.

Just give it a week or two to molt.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
My little N chromatas will only eat pre killed pinhead crickets
You'll almost feel bad for the roach when your chromatus starts hunting live prey.. They literally chew through them.. You'll hear fangs break the exoskeleton of the roach like 10 times :D