Hissing Roaches stings!

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello guys I just want to know people's opinion about the spike legs of hissing roaches. everytime I get stung by their spikey legs the affected suddenly swells. I want to know if they have bacteria, germs or venom on their legs. anyone have any ideas ?

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What species of "Hissers" are you talking about? (common names:mad:)

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G. portentosa can grow various household fungi on their exoskeleton, which is fostered by their messy eating habits (they often get food stuck between their leg joints.) The cooler and damper the conditions they're kept in the more fungus they will have. If it's a big problem (usually indicated by an odor) you can dip the roaches in a LIGHT bleach solution or in hydrogen peroxide, followed by a rinse in water and a drying session.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Normaly they have mites living with them and keeping them clean.

popkin

Arachnopeon
Some people can also have allergic skin reactions to roaches, so that's yet another possibility.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as far as the fungi,does only G portentosa carry it?what about other species of hissers?

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hissers in general (Gromphadorhina, "Princisia") are the messiest by far and have the most fungi associated with them; Elliptorhina, Aeluropoda, etc don't have as many and also have their own mite species. Blaberus and most other roaches are far cleanlier and have much less if not no species of fungus associated with them. (On a side note, on the inside, cockroach have almost literally no fungi or anything like that.)

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's an allergy, no known cockroach has venom and the legs and other animals wouldn't suffer the reaction.