Hissing roaches morph colors

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I started a hisser colony about a year ago. The parents were two normal colored roaches (male and female of course). Both were black with dark brown highlights.

Now that the first group of babies is maturing, I'm really shocked to see they're *ALL* "tiger" hissers! They're all brown with bright yellow bands around their body parts. Bear in mind, none of the babies have normal hisser colors, only the original two adults.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm really shocked. I've never heard of this before.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is pretty cool. It's got to be something environmental don't you think?, like long term diet, humidity, heat.. That roach does look pretty dark in that photo.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Thats just a normal phase of hisser.

This is a Tiger Hisser for comparison.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like that Tiger Hisser. I haven't had Hissers for very long. The ones I have aren't as dark as the two pictured in this thread.

Last edited:

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they're colors tend to vary from black to a light tan. i believe it is based on housing and diet more than anything.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Thats just a normal phase of hisser.

This is a Tiger Hisser for comparison.
Thank you! I've never seen a clear photo before. I just saw the stripes. That makes me feel a lot better :)

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What you are looking at is a fat hisser that is about to molt. That is what is causing the "striping" look.