Hissing Cockroaches (sexing)

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
This might be a long shot, but I've had two hissing cockroaches for nearly a year now. I bought them as small adults under the assumption that they were both female, as I was told. Well, the older of the two just molted and looks like it's grown some sizable horns.
I was hoping someone could give their opinion on if this is a male or not. This is the first time I've seen one fresh out of a molt, so it could just be the color throwing me off. I'll post a before and after photo. I really don't want babies, so I'm hoping I'm just seeing things.
IMG_0181.JPG IMG_5203.JPG

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
Yes, that second pic is a male. Here is a pic of an adult pair.
Well great. :arghh: I was so sure they were both female as they've looked entirely the same up until now. The two pictures are the same cockroach, just a week between the two. Maybe I'll be lucky and the other one will decide to sprout horns as well :meh:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
That second one is a definite male, if you can get a clear shot of the other hisser's last ventral segment, I can sex it for you, even if it's a nymph. :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As others said, definitly male. Looks exactly like some of my oblongata males, Could always sell the babies if you find them, but either way that is a good looking roach :D

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
As others said, definitly male. Looks exactly like some of my oblongata males, Could always sell the babies if you find them, but either way that is a good looking roach :D
Well thank you! I don't really mind having babies, but I know the SO won't be thrilled. If he'd ever notice anyway :rolleyes:
That second one is a definite male, if you can get a clear shot of the other hisser's last ventral segment, I can sex it for you, even if it's a nymph. :)
Well here you go! The first is the male, and the second is his possible girlfriend. I'm impressed you can sex a nymph! They're so tiny :astonished:
IMG_5208.JPG IMG_5214.JPG

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Well here you go! The first is the male, and the second is his possible girlfriend. I'm impressed you can sex a nymph! They're so tiny :astonished:
View attachment 235548 View attachment 235549
Well as you can see in the picture, at the end of his abdomen the male has two small ventral segments, meanwhile the female, (which is indeed a female) has one very large last ventral segment. :) You can use this method of sexing for most Blaberids.

So yeah, you got a sexed pair! Prepare for tons of babies! :happy: