hissing cockroaches and battling

Insectotron

Arachnopeon
Hello. Currently I have a huge colony of hissing cockroaches I've had for the past few years. with many additional hissers brought in and hisslings born. But today I saw something that amazed me. At 1 am in the morning I heard loud hissing from my hisser enclosure. and there I saw it. Two large males battling each other on the rotting log that's in there. Can someone explain this behavior, so I can be ready to take a video next time?

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Hello. Currently I have a huge colony of hissing cockroaches I've had for the past few years. with many additional hissers brought in and hisslings born. But today I saw something that amazed me. At 1 am in the morning I heard loud hissing from my hisser enclosure. and there I saw it. Two large males battling each other on the rotting log that's in there. Can someone explain this behavior, so I can be ready to take a video next time?
Any time you have multiple adult males you'll have fighting - they battle for mating rights and territory like males of many species. If you have too many males it can become a problem and end up stressing out the rest of the colony. If it's just a couple it's not too bad, but you'll definitely see them trying to bulldoze each other.

Insectotron

Arachnopeon
Any time you have multiple adult males you'll have fighting - they battle for mating rights and territory like males of many species. If you have too many males it can become a problem and end up stressing out the rest of the colony. If it's just a couple it's not too bad, but you'll definitely see them trying to bulldoze each other.
Territory? Question for you. should I then relocate some of the males then? I currently have around six mature males.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Territory? Question for you. should I then relocate some of the males then? I currently have around six mature males.
I haven't kept colonies of these, but I know a friend who keeps them tends to get rid of excess males to reduce stress for the colony. I assume the appropriate number of males will depend on the size of the enclosure.

Insectotron

Arachnopeon
I haven't kept colonies of these, but I know a friend who keeps them tends to get rid of excess males to reduce stress for the colony. I assume the appropriate number of males will depend on the size of the enclosure.
I'll DM you the enclosure when I'm out of work.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Well, like I said, I don't keep a colony of these, so I'm not sure I'll be useful. You'd be better off posting in the thread so someone who does keep them can see and let you know if you need to cull males.

Insectotron

Arachnopeon
Well, like I said, I don't keep a colony of these, so I'm not sure I'll be useful. You'd be better off posting in the thread so someone who does keep them can see and let you know if you need to cull males.
Alright cool, I'll come back and post in a few hours. Thank you for your help friend.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Roughly one male to every four or five females works nicely. I've seen mature males defend a slice of banana. Doesn't take much. It's what men do.