Hissing Coackroaches and Cucumbers

LethalxLorelei

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have been having some problems with my hissers dying off in great numbers lately. I have been trying several different things to try and find out why, but just this weekend I think I may have found the problem: cucumbers.

It seems 90% of the websites on the net claim that cucombers are bad for the hissers, or hissers hate cucumbers. Some sites even claim that in order to rid yourself of an infestation, spread cucuomber in areas the cockroaches would be and they will leave.

Anyone know if this is true? Any helpful hints? I will be feeding them apples, lettuce and oranges from now on. Any other suggestions welcomed!

Thank you!
- Lorelei

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Hmm, this might be good to know. I have found that my dubia, hissers, and AGM's love cucumbers. I typically only give them cucumber once in a while though cause my kids also love cucumber. The skin however never get consumed as it is very waxy and if store bought very likely has pesticide residue so I never let my family or my inverts get the skins.

If anyone has any useful info please post or link it.

Cheers,

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
UNTRUE. I feed several species of hissers cucumbers along wth other veggies and they eat it just fine. There are no vegetables that cause roach death. There are a few that roaches will avoid eating, but there are exceptions to that too.

Hissers natural diet is mostly green leaves and tropical cacti. I have several colonies that for several years have eaten a mix of pelleted fish food served for one week and fresh fruits/vegetables on alternate weeks and that never results in death, only proliferation.

Make sure your temps are good, ventilation is good, and they get food/water once or twice a week.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
native/natural cucumbers are quite toxic

i think i can taste a tiny bit of cucurbit toxin in domestic species, sometimes. i don't know too much about that toxin group... but odds are good it is a natural insecticide or something

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whaaaat? Not to any species of roach. You should be specific what they are toxic to when sayin gsomething is toxic, as to not be misleading.

blash

Arachnopeon
Make sure to peel all fruits or vegetables. If you do not grow them yourself they will be full of insecticide.