Hissers store sperm?

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Who knew? Probably everybody but me, haha. They certainly do, though. I had one male and one female hybrid hisser. Both adults. The male died shortly before the female had a clutch of nymphs. A few months later, I have more little nymphs. The female has had no contact with any other adult hissers. I've done a fair amount of amateur google research on various species of cockroach and I never knew that they store sperm, so I just thought I'd share. Do all cockroach species share this capability?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Oh yeah, they most definitely store sperm. Many female roaches probably only need to mate once in their lives to have several litters of young. :)

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
This explains something I've noticed with my Schultesia lampyrydiformis (firefly roaches). On a few occasions I've noticed half the colony trying to mate with a newly emerged adult while it's still white and soft. Must be the males trying to be the first to make the lifelong sperm donation. Interesting.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
This explains something I've noticed with my Schultesia lampyrydiformis (firefly roaches). On a few occasions I've noticed half the colony trying to mate with a newly emerged adult while it's still white and soft. Must be the males trying to be the first to make the lifelong sperm donation. Interesting.
Yeah, in lots of species the males will try to mate with very freshly molted females, I don't know if she is able to accept multiple batches of sperm or if one is all she can absorb. I do know that if given the opportunity the females can mate multiple times, but I don't know if it's necessary to mate more than once.

FASSETT

Arachnopeon
Its kinda funny tho that they seem to stop climbing up the glass when i put the petroleum jelly on the rim. Giving them less food and heat slows there production forsure.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Its kinda funny tho that they seem to stop climbing up the glass when i put the petroleum jelly on the rim. Giving them less food and heat slows there production forsure.
Well giving them less food doesn't really stop reproduction, just makes them hungry lol. Taking fruit out of the diet should stop them from reproducing though, so should keeping them below 72F.

FASSETT

Arachnopeon
Well giving them less food doesn't really stop reproduction, just makes them hungry lol. Taking fruit out of the diet should stop them from reproducing though, so should keeping them below 72F.
No more apple or carrot peals. Lol carrots i believe is there all time favorite. Anyways im going to stop cuz i kinda feel off topic. Peace!