Hissers chewing through screen

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, this may be a silly question, but can hissing roaches (or any large roach, really) chew through screen? I know that dubia can't just by trying it myself, but I'd rather not run this experiment on my new hissing colonies. Rather than poke a million tiny holes for ventilation, I'd like to just cut a large hole in the lid and hot glue screen over it like I did with my dubia. Or should I just not risk it and make all the tiny holes?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
The plastic/nylon screen maybe but if you bought the metal I don't think they could get through that. I have a small colony but they are housed in a XL KK with Vaseline barrier.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
As long as it was some type of metal like @sdsnybny said you should be fine. Mine aren't kept with a screen, but I don't think their jaws are powerful enough to chew through metal or even standard plastics. Giant hole with screen will work wonders, and if you don't already have plans for a barrier then you may want one. Helps when you open the lid that they can't run out :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As long as it was some type of metal like @sdsnybny said you should be fine. Mine aren't kept with a screen, but I don't think their jaws are powerful enough to chew through metal or even standard plastics. Giant hole with screen will work wonders, and if you don't already have plans for a barrier then you may want one. Helps when you open the lid that they can't run out :D
Oh of course, I'll certainly be doing that. The screen that I've been using is specifically for large panels, meaning it's a bit heavier duty than the normal ones you'd have on your windows. It's not metal, but it's actually dulled my scissors from cutting it. So it should be fine.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Sounds perfect! Just curious, what type of hissers? Just the Madagascars, or something more exotic like javanicas?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sounds perfect! Just curious, what type of hissers? Just the Madagascars, or something more exotic like javanicas?
Yes :D

Pretty sure the Gromphs are hybrids based on their massive size variations. Some are 3", most are 4", and a few are 5". I'm going to pluck out the largest of them and start a colony of (hopefully) giants. The smalls will likely be pulled out entirely once the colony gets going.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Holy... 5"? My oblongata only get about 4"! Hope your colony does well, love hissers ;)
I know, they're freakishly large. There's only 3 (that I saw) that are that size, I'll have a better count when I house them properly tomorrow. The java's are adorable, those are cool just as a pet.

Generally speaking, are hissers about a 50/50 sex ratio? I got these primarily because many of my customers buying dubia want larger feeders. As you know, MM dubia are tiny and I'm not about to sell my MF's as a common feeder. I mean, the java's are bigger than AF dubias even as nymphs, so that takes care of the problem. But I'd love to kill two birds with one stone - cull the males and make a good sale in one go. What sex ratio do you aim for, if I may ask? The general consensus seems to be around what dubia are - roughly 3:1.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I'd sat it's about the same for hissers. I haven't had mine long, but the large hissers tand to be very territorial between males. They really like to fight, do maybe even 1:4? Mine haven't bred for me yet, but I just know males are pretty territorial, especially species with horns. Probably could do 50/50, but it would probably work with half of that.