Hissers as Food?

CleanMachine

Arachnopeon
So it seems that some people on here have suggested in suttle ways that Madagascar Hissing Roaches are not a preferable food item for Ts. Would it be harmful to feed my T. Blondi a Hisser. They are large and inexpensive, thus making a seemingly good food item for large Ts. Just wanted to get some suggestions, advice, etc.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most people advise against it, but I have fed adult hissers to an adult Pandinus imperator, 21cm Scolopendra subspinipes "Mau Chu", and a 13.5 cm Sericopelma rubronitens. Depending on the size of your T.blondi I'd say go for it.

Some people squish the heads of the roach to make sure it can't harm the T, but is still moving and kicking enough fro the T to find and eat it.

CleanMachine

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she is 8" so I try to find larger insects. I have been successful with nightcrawlers and Death's Heads, but I wanted to give Hissers a try for variety. Thanks.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, she is 8" so I try to find larger insects. I have been successful with nightcrawlers and Death's Heads, but I wanted to give Hissers a try for variety. Thanks.
8" is about 20cm so I'd say go for it. I take it this is your first time feeding hissers? If so, just watch them closely. Good luck! Also, you should make a vid or take some pictures if you can.:D

CleanMachine

Arachnopeon
Do you think I should pinch the head off, or should my T be able to handle the Hisser with no problem?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure your T would be able to take it without any problem. Some people feed adult mice to their Ts at that size and they take them down with no problem. It's all up to you though, if your worried something might happen and wanna take the extra precautions then do it, if not then don't.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have fed hissers to my Ts and no problems but havent fed full grown ones . i would suspect an adult hisser couldnt do harm to a healthy hungry blondi. but ... they do have sharps on the legs. so

CleanMachine

Arachnopeon
Well, I put a hisser in last night and my Blondi was affraid of it. She curled up into a corner in her cave and waited for the Hisser to leave the cave. I thought that she may have been timid due to people watching her. I had people over and they wanted to see the feeding. Thus I tried again today with the same results. She didn't even give a threat position. She just ran away. She always attacks anything that moves near her. I fed her a nightcrawler on Wed. or Thurs. so maybe she is just not hungry but I would think she would at least defend her burrow. Any thoughts?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i feed hissers pretty regularily to all my bugs

i headcrush hissers that are much bigger than 1"/3cm due to the freaking MASSIVE defensive leg spines they have. those spines have punched holes in my hand skin... could EASILY punch a hole thru a spider's abdomen exoskeleton

though, the couple few times i gave intact large hissers to large tarantulas there were some pretty sweet battles (depends how big of a price you are willing to pay for your entertainment, i suppose)