Hisser Ootheca Problem

euckalyptus

Arachnopeon
I first noticed my female’s protruded ootheca about 2 days ago. It didn’t appear like I would expect but I thought maybe I’m not experienced enough to know. However, she hasn’t retracted it since I noticed it, and it looks kinda weird. Any advice? Is this normal?

Attachments

rock

Arachnoknight
They incubate the ootheca internally and then give "live birth", I have seen them out like that for hours, maybe a day, before being held inside. Two days does seem a little excessive but there's not much to do except wait or cut it off- which i've never done. Hope everything turn out - or in - alright

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
Euthanize it.
I disagree, until it can be verified what it actually is I don't support killing animals just because there's a problem that might be lethal. I've read countless threads where at the beginning someone says to euthanize it and often the animal goes on to make a full recovery and live a long life.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I disagree, until it can be verified what it actually is I don't support killing animals just because there's a problem that might be lethal. I've read countless threads where at the beginning someone says to euthanize it and often the animal goes on to make a full recovery and live a long life.
You can literally see it’s organs hanging in that sack of hemolymph. If that pops it’s game over, it can’t poop, the best course of action with very limited suffering is euthanasia.

Edit: This isn’t a ‘might be lethal’ situation, this is a lethal situation where there will be no recovery and any other hissers in there will likely chew on that thing and pop it. She also may just snag it in something or get it covered in crap. There is no point extending the suffering.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
You can literally see it’s organs hanging in that sack of hemolymph. If that pops it’s game over, it can’t poop, the best course of action with very limited suffering is euthanasia.
If it is actually the organs then I do agree with you. It's just that I'm tired of seeing every thread start with "euthanize it".

ccTroi

Arachnobaron

Edit: This isn’t a ‘might be lethal’ situation, this is a lethal situation where there will be no recovery and any other hissers in there will likely chew on that thing and pop it. She also may just snag it in something or get it covered in crap. There is no point extending the suffering.
what cause prolapses in these roaches?

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
It is a prolapse and she is suffering. Soon the others will start to nibble at it until she succumbs and dies. This is what normal ootheca thermal regulation looks like

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's a nasty looking prolapse. I've seen them in discoids, not hissers yet (thankfully) but eggs are much more "solid" looking than that. The way its drooped over and hanging limply, eggs are usually firm and don't droop at all. Also its clear, you can see into it and there are masses...probably her organs. Also for the person who asked what causes prolapse in cockroaches: old age and/or a LOT of breeding usually. To be honest, I think this is the worst prolapse I've ever seen, poor girl. :sad:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Man, I keep getting notifications on this post. Its making my heart hurt. I hope you have put her in the freezer with a bit of banana.

euckalyptus

Arachnopeon
ah I'm so sorry to hear that. She is kind of old, but I haven't been able to get any of my hissers to successfully breed yet. I'm glad to know for sure though. I'll get on it... Poor thing

euckalyptus

Arachnopeon
I think the saddest part was that I was so excited to finally have some nymphs but it turned into a really bad situation for her. I'm very grateful for all of you to have replied so quickly. It's looking very acutely worse today (I just got home from out of town) so it is for sure the right move

DiscoidsNHissers

Arachnopeon
I found for hissers it really takes a handful of things to get the babies to show up: good air temperature (around 75-80F), good humidity (~50%), and they need to feel comfortable. I had a rather nice set up in terms of temperature, I'd spray them twice a day, gave them snacks on occasion, but there were not enough hides for them to crawl under, so no wonder the ladies didn't feel safe having babies! No one wants to have kids out in the open! A month after I added a bunch of cork bark to the point the cage looked crowded, babies finally appeared! It really does take you looking at your set up seriously and going "what am I doing to make my ladies not want to have babies?". Could be that something as simple as too much light comes into their tank during the day, could be as complex as dealing with humidity, or as heartbreaking as realizing your bugs might be too old to have kids. You'll get there, just gotta figure out the solution to the puzzle.

euckalyptus

Arachnopeon
My mom thinks it's because they were moved around a lot during their prime. They're probably too old now. This problem is a pretty stark reminder of that. I've been upgrading their enclosure a bit at a time over the last few years or so so at least they're happy. Lots of hides, frequent misting, food offerings so often. Now that I'm established I should be able to get some young ones in to have some good mating times. Also apparently gotta keep an eye on the other geriatrics to ensure they don't have really bad health problems that require euthanasia. It's painful to do