Hisser colony?

El Pistolero GL

Arachnopeon
I was thinking about starting a hissing cockroach colony, any thoughts on this> Good or bad idea? Also does anyone know if they poop? lol

james206

Arachnopeon
good idea. what r u feeding them to? and they r easy to take care of and the enclosure rarely needs cleaned. i have a small colony of hissers and b dubias. cheap and easy to take care of but they prefer water crystals over water and they love warm dark spots.

El Pistolero GL

Arachnopeon
good idea. what r u feeding them to? and they r easy to take care of and the enclosure rarely needs cleaned. i have a small colony of hissers and b dubias. cheap and easy to take care of but they prefer water crystals over water and they love warm dark spots.
That sounds good. Do they poop?

james206

Arachnopeon
ya. but u dont notice it. i think mine eat most of it....and best of all they dont stink! lol

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
They do poop. I never heard of a bug that didnt. :? They dont eat there poop either.

They make great feeders for large Ts. On the downside they have a very strong exoskeloton. (That can cause your Ts' fangs to break) Smaller Ts will refuse them because of this also. I would recommend dubias as a great all around feeder. (fairly soft and large) lateralis are a great feeder also. although small they have a very soft body and have the fastest life cyle. (4 months) Of course if your dead set on having hissers you can wait until they molt. They will be ghost white and soft after molting.

El Pistolero GL

Arachnopeon
They do poop. I never heard of a bug that didnt. :? They dont eat there poop either.

They make great feeders for large Ts. On the downside they have a very strong exoskeloton. (That can cause your Ts' fangs to break) Smaller Ts will refuse them because of this also. I would recommend dubias as a great all around feeder. (fairly soft and large) lateralis are a great feeder also. although small they have a very soft body and have the fastest life cyle. (4 months) Of course if your dead set on having hissers you can wait until they molt. They will be ghost white and soft after molting.
Even as babies are their exoskeleton's strong? I really only plan on using babies-juvis

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Even as babies are their exoskeleton's strong? I really only plan on using babies-juvis
They are pretty soft when under 3/4" long. But if you only want to use juvies then it makes scense to just go out and get some lateralis. Hissers have a very long life cycle and take longer to grow up. Lateralis are my Ts favorite. Specialy my slings. I almost want to eat them up myself. :} All Ts love lats! :D

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a colony, and feed them to all my Ts, adults and slings.
Hissers do not develop the hard exo until they hit about 3-4cm. None of my Ts has ever had any trouble with them. I have watched my Ts grab the hisser and take their time probing the body with their fangs looking for a soft spot to penetrate.
While adult hissers have a fairly tough exo, they are just too big for an average sized T (6-8") as a result I feed juveniles to my adult Ts and nymphs to my spiderlings.
The bolus left behind is also very small, which is a good indicator that the tarantulas have no trouble at all eating them.
My colony needs to be downsized again.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. I keep an isopod colony in with my hissers for this reason.
Mine do great this way, also introduced Hyopsis mites to control the "bad" mites-allgone, I have far exceeded capacity and need to be rid of like...I dunno 150, 250?