Hisser cannibals?

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here at the insect museum on my campus, we have a small colony of hissing cockroaches. There are about 15 adults in the tank. They have plenty of food and water and hiding places. However, many of them are missing feet. Some of them have all their feet missing and stumble around on stumpy legs. What could be causing this? Is it self harm, chewing on each other, or something else?

And also, does anyone have a preferred "secret recipe" for hissers? They usually get apples and bananas and carrots here, as well as fish flakes which I'm not sure they actually eat. I've had hissers before at home but fed them a special powdery hisser diet that I got along with them, as well as bits of whatever fruit I may have been eating that day. Was just wondering if there are any other certain items I could pick up for them that they'd love. And we're not trying to get them to breed, just keep them happy.

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try adding dry cat food or dog food to the diet to increase the amount of protein in their diet.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Try adding dry cat food or dog food to the diet to increase the amount of protein in their diet.
my thoughts exactly. E. prosticus do the same thing. Do what the previous poster suggested and it should help.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would not suggest dry cat food, its too high in protien, dry dog food is much better!:D{D :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What about them losing parts of their legs? I recieved some that have a few stumps too. I was wondering if it from too much moisture:confused: .

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In crowded conditions and a low protein diet roaches will chew on each other. If my colony gets crowded I start seeing the missing tarsi or antennae that are chewed off. I feed mine dry cat food supplemented with fruits and vegetables and the colony has thrived for over 10 years. I recently had to get rid of a couple of hundred because the colony was over crowded.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, thanks. I have a ways to go before it's too crowded. I put about 4 adults in a 20 gal with some hollow logs I found in the backyard. I already have babies though! What do you do when you get too many? Pet store?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, thanks. I have a ways to go before it's too crowded. I put about 4 adults in a 20 gal with some hollow logs I found in the backyard. I already have babies though! What do you do when you get too many? Pet store?
give as treats to geckos and frogs.....

Fredericusrex

Arachnosquire
I have a hisser and a day ago I noticed his feet, which used to have hooks on them, are missing the hooks and he is a lone hisser, so his feet were definitely not bitten. What is happening?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I have a hisser and a day ago I noticed his feet, which used to have hooks on them, are missing the hooks and he is a lone hisser, so his feet were definitely not bitten. What is happening?
That is a result of old age, they naturally lose their tarsi and bits of their antennae when they get very old.