Highly defensive T's

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I have some of the old world Ts that you expect to be defensive and are, but the slightly more unexpected one is my adult female P. cancerides. She can be quite a handful sometimes! :D

If you touch her rump , she will attack your finger
Um, most would. Stop poking at her.

sn95

Arachnopeon
I guess my most defensive current T would be one of my OBTs. Thw one OBT will flip over on its back from a threat display, while the other one would rather run to its burrow. I had a MM Haplopelma longipes that hated everything. He would come out of its burrow if I was walking past.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
My king baboon charged me today for a little over 2 inch sling it is pretty nasty temperd.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Surprisingly, based on the species we have (many noted for their defensiveness) our most defensive is our Tapinauchenius saintvincenti, she routinely threat displays at feeders, tongs, slight air currents, etc; and remains in the posture for a good long while (well over 2 hours on one occasion) unless she decides she wants to eat.

Mackenzie

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Same easygoing, handleable nature with all- unless you're a feeder :razz: Maybe an occasional threat with L klugi and noted increased skitttishness with maturing B boehmei.

P. ornatas skittish but have never threat-posed. I'm still trying my best not to allow complacency to creep in with those three. ;)

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my first collection of t,s 3 years ago my king baboon was angry and would hiss alot, but she was awesome, big and beautifull (cant belive i sold her)
and my obt back then was also agressive but cool.
and i had a h.minax who was really scary psycho when i bought her and had to put her in her tank but after that she dug a hole and was ok, at really well at the entrance to her burrow, shame she died.

now my h.lividum is really deffensive nut she seems to be caming down.
and my H.minax was even more psycho, seriosly she would nearly turn upside down on her back with her threat pose.
again shame she died because of a bad molt, i had her a few weeks and she died and i cried.. i know only two weeks but it was sad because she was sooooo agressive when she was well but when i tried to help her out of her molt she was thrashing her legs around and trying to bite, but she couldnt turn herself over, it was a real sad site to see.. i cried again, if only tarantulas could remember and bond with us if we help them with stuff.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even though I have a lot of what most people consider to be defensive Ts(Haplopelmas, Pterinochilus, and Pokies), the spider that is the most defensive(bordering on aggressive) is an Aphonopelma seemani. When I first seen her at a LPS she would flip over on her back with venom dripping from her fangs at just the slightest disturbance.

Art

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I tend to stay clear of the OW nasty's, but among the worst in my collection would be my "stripe knee". Beginning to think she's an A Insubtilis. Equally defensive are my N Chromatus. I have 5-6. All defensive. I also have to agree with B Vagans. They are more defensive than they're reputation. Over 1/3 of my large # of them will READILY bite a paint brush (and hang on!). But this is not a problem. Easy way to transport them to another container! They realy are not THAT bad. They will just stand their ground when "messed with". None of my NW's are bad like OW "nasty's", which will readily come right after you!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ephebopus murinus. :evil: :D

Very snappy, and FAST! Velvet-black lightning.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachypelma angustum
Brachypelma vagans
Haplopelma lividum
Heterscodra maculata
Avicularia diversipes
Pterinochilus murinus
Ceratogyrus marshalli

... so far :)

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh when i re started my tarantula collection about a year ago my first new tarantulas were a chilian rose and an N.cromatus, when i got the cromatus(sherlock) home she seemed very gentle and i held her ive never held a tarantula before that exept from my pinktoe a little and my chilian, same with my old collection.

anyway sherlock is an adult, hope she is a female, and yeah when i got her home and got her out and put her in her new tank she was fine.
now when i give food or use tweezers to get stuff out she will run away and she has threatened me a few times but i woudnt have ever thought this was an agressive species untill you said here.

weird to me.

SpiderDane

Arachnopeon
I actually have a split :eek: I can´t figure out whatever my female L. parahybana or my newly acquired juve female C. fimbriatus should have the first place.

My L. parahybana has a very bad temper. She attacks everything that moves i her enclosure and drags it back in, that includes tongs, plants, water dish, food etc. She´s not the big threader, more like a bite-first-ask-questions-later type of girl :worship:

My juve C. fimbriatus is all about threading. She rears up with teeth's all out at the slightest movement, and stays there between 10 and 30min before she calms down :? Oh and she is extremely fast... Teleportation fast! ;P

Besides that i have a 1½in G. rosea sling that thinks it´s really something. Rump right up in the air and running around like it´s on speed :? Heh. It is kinda cute actually and very amusing :D

Last edited:

BillyG

Arachnopeon
I think mine would be H.Hainanum,it's funny people said they are very defensive,but mine never bit me or anything,but of course I never do anything to let her go there;P.