"highland/lowland"

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
For the sake of an old argument I just recently had my male and female p.subfuscas that were from the same egg sac molt on the exact same day. And what is strikingly odd and funny somewhat proving my theory. Is that my male just molted into a confirmed female "lowland" while my confirmed female "highland" stayed the same.... I contacted my close friend immediately after finding out and we are contacting the original seller who sold them to him at one inch to make completely sure they are from the same egg sac. They are both 5" now and extremely gorgeous and without a single doubt by all characteristics and identifications highland and lowland females. So my theory of believing they are possible somewhat colormorphs from one another do to the regions they are from has been even more strengthened. I am now in 99% belief these are the exact same species. I have also compared many male and females of both species just in case. And they are without a doubt females of the variations in the species.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No offense...but if you sexed your female as male originally, then I don't see how you really have a leg to stand on.

But as you say, for the sake of argument, can you supply us with pictures?

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
I sure can mate I just need an email I think I've told you before it won't let me post on my phone so just shoot me a pm with your email. And as for sexing it was sexed by the guy I got them from and I didn't question it really. Didn't see the need you know? And had sent pictures to others and they all agreed it was a male and female pair. But anyway back on to the pictures yeah? Lol just shoot me your email and ill send a few different shots of both including some before they molted. I'll also see if I can get a few Ventral shots of both but that might take a bit cause they are just chillin on the substrate.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

I do admit thinking it was male is bad on my case, but then again like I said I never really checked until the molts came

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This thread will prob be 30 pages long in 3 days and then shut down haha. I've been trying to figure this whole "Highland" "lowland" thing for awhile now. Some people (reliable sources) claim they come from the same eggsac. Other people claim they are collected in different area's and that they grow different sizes.

My biggest problem I see with it, is many pics on the internet labeled "highland" look like what some have labeled "lowland" and vice versa. I agree that there is 2 morphs or forms going around, but I need to see proof that they are indeed 2 sp. or not before I mix them. Unfortunately with the way I see pics labeled on the internet , they are already mixed, or indeed the same sp. :?:wall:

Poeciotheria are identified buy there ventral leg patterns. Although , I've heard of small variations in the leg patterns of P. ornata (P. ornata "blue") and P. pederseni. I wonder is there any difference in the ventral leg patterns between the "highland"/"lowland"?

Spiderman24, can you post pics of your spiders?

Later, Tom

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I'm sure this will be a long thread. If Spider24 can't post pics I'm sure Joe can.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
My phone auto disabled html upload and it won't read my phones internal grid. So I can email them to you if you'd like. The sane thing goes for you as it does for Joe ill provide premolt and post molt of both spiders.=) I agree with your post entirely I had a post a while back talking about the internet pictures confusing me as to what label for a to which spider. I feel they are just color morphed and size differences like just about any multiple region lifeform.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Wait you made a perfect point up. WILL SOMEONE POST THE PICTURES FOR ME!? lol that would make my life easier and my fingers happier. Lol

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I feel they are just color morphed and size differences like just about any multiple region lifeform.
Just to add to my comments above too, I've heard one morph can get bigger than the other, but again, I need more proof than hearsay . 2 spiders from the same eggsac fed on the same schedule , kept at the same temps, for example.

later, Tom

can you send me the pics Tompatterson77@gmail.com

Last edited:

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Could one of you kindly post these pictures up for me. If you have the spare moment that is. My email is ravinvanderdardz@gmail.com ill shoot you the pictures immediately

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Pictures are sending as we speak the female highland is hiding now so give me a bit to get post molt pictures of her but premolt were sent and the "male" female highland has an arsenal of pictures coming your way lol sorry if the lighting is somewhat poor it should suffice perfectly though.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why not send the pics through your phone to your own e-mail address, then post them yourself?

Unless I missed something (i.e. you're only online through your phone), that should work just fine.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
I tried man. Like I've gone through everything I know and it says the links provided valid or whatever. They are being posted though so hold on to your undies.>.<

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Oh i got what you mean Joe sorry. Lol I am only on my phone.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Let ne see what I can do through my ps3 though tom said he would post them. I sent them to him a minute ago so if he can't do it ill just see if my ps3 will.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
No rush mate I appreciate it a lot though.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

That carapace I.D. was a link given to me in a pm yesterday by the way.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

By the way the female highland is now almost completely black

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Pics posted with permission of Spiderman24

These are the "male" pics...

female pics....

not sure if these pics help me or confuse me more though:confused::confused:

Later, Tom

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Link to carapace ID pic

Later, Tom

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Take a look at that close-up carapas shot. then look at that is picture and do the same for the highland female. one is shown as lowland the other highland there was only lighting from my room no flash so it might be hard

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

The last picture for the "male" and the females pictures are premolt by the way

If any of you have a 5" female lowland could you kindly send me a pictyre or post it.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you think that its possible that the person who produced your T's, bred a "highland" and a "lowland" together. And the two Females may be from the same sac but are the different phases? Like Holothele incei normal phase and the Holothele incei "gold". The normal phase H.incei sometimes produce sacs with normal and "gold" phase slings and vice versa.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Well seeing as how they are quite confusing as to which is which. It could be very possible yes but even with conforms it could possibly be dangerous to mix them up and possible the eggs could have all passed. That is a very good point you've got though but that's probably a question that will never be answered. I mean as you can tell it was sold as male and female highlands. So the breeder quite possibly could have made the mistake of doing exactly what you said. Breeding highland with lowland and in theory is quite possible to do. It would be a neat project to test my bigger highland male has been drumming recently and I don't know to who. None of my females are mature.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Oh and that doesn't pretain to you but anyone I got into an arguement with about my subfuscas... there they are..... enjoy =)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you think that its possible that the person who produced your T's, bred a "highland" and a "lowland" together. And the two Females may be from the same sac but are the different phases? Like Holothele incei normal phase and the Holothele incei "gold". The normal phase H.incei sometimes produce sacs with normal and "gold" phase slings and vice versa.
AFAIK, originally there was only one female with the gold trait. The normal phase just doesn't pump out random golds every once and a while. This was a specific but very random occurance. I don't know of anyone else who has normal incei who are popping out golds, do you?

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not know enough about them to say either way,but they both are beautiful spiders non the less.

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
AFAIK, originally there was only one female with the gold trait. The normal phase just doesn't pump out random golds every once and a while. This was a specific but very random occurance. I don't know of anyone else who has normal incei who are popping out golds, do you?
Very good point but it could possibly happen. I've known of obt's to POP out color phased. I think it might have something to maybe do with generation of bloodied maybe? Like a random gold comes out. Then gold mated with "normal" all "normal" come out but with a slight brighter color mated again. Then Bam another gold. This might be just my crazy view point but it could happen like that. It happens with the "purple and blue" Singapore BLUES lol

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

And it just happened with my subfuscas.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Differences in females are interesting, but I wonder how males that are used for mating are identified as "highland" or "lowland":?:?:?

Later, Tom